No Tags Found!

chennai.ibrahim

How do we deal with an employee that has an offensive body order?

The offending employee may not even be aware of the extent of the odor or may have a health problem that’s the culprit. Another possibility is the employee may have been raised in a culture that doesn’t bathe daily or use deodorant. Whatever the cause, the unacceptable result must be addressed quickly and with sensitivity or coworkers will ultimately be forced to leave the company or transfer to another department.

The immediate supervisor would be the most suitable person to talk with the offending employee because that is the person who’s in contact with staff on a regular basis. However, if the supervisor does not feel he or she can adequately handle the discussion, a representative from Human Resources should meet with the employee. An opener for the discussion could be this statement and follow up question: “I’ve noticed that on most days you have a strong body odor, and your coworkers have also complained about this problem. Do you have a health condition that results in heavy sweating or body odor?” This gives the employee an opportunity to share any health conditions that are being treated, which may or may not be covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Typical health problems that could result in strong body odor are diabetes, urinary tract infections, or gastrointestinal abnormalities.

If the employee simply does not bathe frequently, he or she may simply be unaware that this lack of hygiene is causing offensive body odor. If this is the case, the person coaching the employee can advise daily bathing and use of deodorant. The reason provided should not be an indictment of the employee’s cultural heritage or background. The focus should be on the health and well being of all employees, which is being placed in jeopardy. If the company has a policy on professional appearance and cleanliness, the policy should be referenced so that the employee understands fully that he or she is not being singled out for any reason other than offensive body odour.

Chennai.Ibrahim

From India, Hyderabad
Sowmini

Hi Chennai Ibrahim,
I appreciate for starting a good topic which is a very important aspect in office decorum.
As you have said rightly, the person might not be aware of his offensive body odour at all. (it is scientifically also proven that bad breathe and body odour are not felt by own self and it is first identified by others, like spouse and family members). Many times it could be due medical reasons or due to poor personal hygiene.
The best way to put it to the person is through a close friend or associate in the office if not through the HR. It is certainly a delicate issue and should be handled very carefully but it should be addressed to him.
As commented above, this subject is not a "yuk" subject... it is a very important topic and i thank u for bringing this to benefit so many people who have hesitation to put it in this forum.
Regards,
Sowmini.

From India, Madras
sparky

Having faced this issue in the past, I have always found that asking one of their friends to have a discrete word usually works.
Whatever, this issue must not be sidestepped, and like most problems is best tackled in its infancy.
Interesting point about diabetes....I wasn't aware of that one.

From United Kingdom, Glasgow
Bhanu Chander

Chennai Ibrahim,
Indeed !! Lot of sensitive issues for the HR professionals to handle & deal with !!!
Was never expecting this topic would be discussed too, anyways,
I would appreciate your initiative of bringing-up this in the forum.
Nothing is silly to discuss, when it does good to the community at large.
Thanks !!

From India, Hyderabad
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.