No Tags Found!

amyfowler
Hi folks,

I come from a background of HR generalist exp of 8 yrs and also I have 5yrs entrepreneurial exp. Due to some reasons me and my spouse decided to shut the business and now i am back looking for hr jobs. My exp after applying to jobs/ interview is that people are not considering my entrepreneurial exp. at all and considering it as career break (which is not considered as valid as maternity break I guess). I am in a fix how do I approach or what is it with the recent norms on hiring someone looking for job after long time. I am confident on my story w.r.t the break as they call it and are thinking that I may leave my job again to set up another business. If you have been in similar situation, how you dealt with it, what is it that people are looking for? Any advice, suggestion, help in this regard is appreciated.

From India, Mumbai
Dinesh Divekar

Dear member,

Closing a business is a setback. Now the distrust by the HR professionals to take you back in their fold is another setback. This is quite unfortunate.

However, just because you have an HR background does not mean you should look for a job in the HR field only. You may look for a job in retail operations. Nowadays, a lot of warehouses are coming up. You search for jobs in warehousing also.

Otherwise, there are newer jobs like Data Analyst, Business Analyst etc. You may look for jobs in those fields as well.

All the best!

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
amyfowler
Thank you Dinesh for your response and suggestion. This is something even I have thought to explore but it will take time for me to learn new skills and then apply for jobs, with hr skills i am ready to start where i have left and it will take lesser time i believe. Another reason is the financial situation and i can’t spend money on anything extra accept my household expenses hence sticking to hr and even if get job at salary matching to my previous drawn salary i still can afford however with job in new area require me to spend first on learning the skills and then start as a fresh employee may not pay me much is my concern. if you have any thoughts please share that can help me find opportunities. thank you
From India, Mumbai
Agarwal BD

You have not mentioned whether your entrepreneurship was in HR or any other field. If it was HR then there has been an enrichment of your skills in the field and I am sure that with patience you will find something suitable. Even if the remuneration is not as good as your expectation, you will soon get into the groove and can always look for better opportunities after some time.
Even if your business was not related to HR, you have definitely developed some new skills and based on your interest you can look for a job either in HR or anything related to the skills you have developed in the past 5 years. Have faith in yourself and don't lose your confidence. It is just a matter of getting a break and you will be back and running in no time.
By the way, I am talking from experience!

From India, Kolkata
amyfowler
Hi,

Thanks for your response. My business experience is different from HR and yes I have gained knowledge & skills in both fields.
Hoping to get great opportunity soon. Your post has surely encouraged me to keep going.

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.