No Tags Found!

Jeevaneyan

Hi,

You can try these too -

Why HR?

During my degree course I analyzed the various career options available to me. I was not in a professional course like BE or MBBS or BPharm. Then, you have options like CA, ACS or ICWA if you want to pursue a specific profession in life. I do not have aptitude for doing CA or ICWA etc. I could see HR emerging as a rewarding profession and there is future for it. I found doing course in HR and having a career in HR was exciting to me. So, I decided to join MBA-HR and now I am looking for starting my career in my chosen field. And, my genuine interest in people management, developing interpersonal skills, communication skills and leadership qualities match with my ambition to be in HR.

Why Recruitment?

You have many people in other HR domains like Personnel Management, Legal Compliance, Performance Management, Payroll and Employee Relations. Though all of these functions have some strategic value, getting right people for the right job is more challenging. If one does it, the organization will have less problems and more productivity. Any problem is not a problem. It is only the lack of ability of the people to resolve. So, right people can make great difference. To get right people in right jobs in right numbers at the right time, we should have right recruitment solutions and a good recruiter. That's where recruitment becomes critical. Where other HR functions confine themselves mostly to be within the organization, Recruitment has to go beyond the organization searching for talents everywhere. With the kind of scarcity in human capital and the increasing salary levels in our country, I will not be surprised if Recruitment emerges as an exclusive field of specilaisation in India and the conventional HR departments will have nothing to do with recruitment. We may have Recruitment departments in future in India apart from HR dept. This is the right time for me to gain entry into this field, if I need to grow in this field with tremendous potential for future growth.

Why Hyderabad?

I prefer to be in south during my initial years of my career before I venture to move to anywhere in India. I think Hyderabad with its multilinguistic culture can groom me for that kind of flexibilty, if your company may also need it from me and even for travels to North Indian cities on recruitment assignments.

How will you survive without knowing local language in Hyderabad?

You are talking about survival. When it comes to the question of survival people learn new things fast. I am not exception to that. I will be naturally compelled to learn the local languages and I will learn them naturally. I know few friends, who have done so.

Jeeva.

From India, Bangalore
sanju_9999
Hi Jeeva, you have provided good answers, infact I can relate my own career path to some of the points you have come up with. You have mentioned that Hyderabad is a multilingual culture, definitely thats one of the reasons I am here. Now its very important that I shouldn'nt fake my answers but at the same time its also very important that I donot portray myself as a weak character. I am sure questions like "why HR?" and "why Hyderabad?" are bound to comeup in most of the interviews that I will be attending in the future, so its important that I should be prepared with those, and your answers have definitely given me an idea as to how to answer those.
Thanks a lot,
Sanjeev[/b][/i][/u][/quote][/url][/list]

From India, Hyderabad
sanju_9999
Hi Samvedan,
By observing all your replies I can conclude one thing that you want me to be honest while answering those questions rather than buying some readymade answers, and at the same time you expect me to be tactful. Right?
Thanks,
Sanjeev

From India, Hyderabad
Jeroo Chandiok

Hi, Jeeva,

Your latest post was excellent - extremely thoughtful and equivalent to Samvedan's posts in quality!

Jeeva and Samvedan :

Why don't we and likeminded professionals add to this site in CiteHR to help aspiring candidates to appear for interviews? I do know most graduates (and even junior executives) have very little knowledge of what to expect at an interview, and almost no idea of how to prepare for it!

For instance, at my training sessions, I tell them how to prepare themselves for an interview. I ask them to obtain as much information as they can about the organisation through its websites, through industry analytical surveys, through business magazine articles on the industry, its growth prospects, its problems/successes, etc., and in Mumbai, through entries in the Bombay Stock Exchange Directory. If they know someone who is already working there, they could obtain info about the org'n culture, HR and OD practices, etc. It's hard work, but it pays excellent dividends.

They should study the job profile, understand reporting relationships, the responsibilities involved, what qualifications/experience are desirable/essential, and find out how best they themselves could fit in, what the future prospects are, etc. The advertisement/recruitment consultants involved should be able to fill in the gaps, but if they can gather more information through interaction with employees in the same function in other organisations/the same organisation, nothing like it.

Jeeva and Samavedan, if you feel these type of postings could be useful, please let me know, so you and I can add on more helpful data about how to conduct oneself during the interview, probable questions that may come up, particularly strengths and weaknesses, etc.

Looking forward to your replies.

All the best,

Jeroo

From India, Mumbai
Jeevaneyan

Hi, Jeroo,
In fact I was conducting mock interview sessions for MBA, BE and Polytechnic students and my experience is that really the youngsters need guidance. I will be glad to make whatever contributions possible from my side. I will be happy to join your efforts.
Jeeva.

From India, Bangalore
Jeevaneyan

Hi, Sanju,
One thing you should keep in mind is not to be anxious about the offer as the result of the interview. You will get an offer from the most appropriate company. So, you are only going in search of that comany. Don't worry about it. So, during all the interviews stay natural, confident and cool, but without appearing to be casual or overconfident. With anxiety detached from your mind, you WILL get natural and meaningful answers. If those right answers are not convincing to the interviewer, then he is not your employer. It may not be the best place for you. Some one at some point of time will listen to you and get convinced and make an offer to you.
All the best.
Jeeva.

From India, Bangalore
Aanchal

Hi there to HR seniors..Samvedan,Jeeva nd Jerroo..
THANKS all for such a wonderfull idea..nd i hope Sanjuz query z solved.
I wud really like to c something that Jerro indicated.it wud surely help the HR babies..plz do think ab8 it..nd go on wid the brilliant idea. :idea:
Regards
Aanchal

From India, Mumbai
dheerajgoyal

hey all..
So Mr Jeeva .. Now you get you all.. all this while you were pulling my leg haan .. But after going through this thread I know there are certainly many things I can and will learn from you buddy ..
My hi to Samvedan & Jerroo . Sanju Buddy count me in .. we're in the same boat .. lets work together ...
Regards
Dheeraj
:D

From India, Calcutta
Jeroo Chandiok

OK, all !

Some hints for candidates before they actually appear for an interview :

* Go through business magazines, the org'n's website, industry reports in economic newspapers, (in Mumbai we have the Bombay Stock Exchange Directory which gives excellent coverage of the industry as well as individual orgns - see if you can find a copy to refer to in your own city or a similar site) etc. to find out as much as you can about the orgn you have applied to; if you know someone working there, find out about its future plans, its culture, anything that might be useful. Do all this at least a day or two before the interview.

* Find out about the job content - either from the orgn's website, or from the advt./recruitment agent, and study the minimum and preferable qualifications and/or experience a candidate is expected to have. If you need to know more about one or more responsibilities mentioned, refer to the net or to senior friends and acquaintances for more details. At the interview, state you have no experience in those areas, but that you have referred to the web, and that you will have no difficulty in picking these up at work.

* Go to bed early the night before the interview, and have a good sleep. You mustn't feel stressed out.

* At least a few days before the interview, check out the clothes you are going to wear. Have they been laundered and freshly re-ironed? Do they fit (this is not a silly question - you may have put on/lost weight)? Have your shoes been properly cleaned and are they in good shape (they should not be torn or in need of repairs)? Is your hair recently cut/styled? Are your nails neatly trimmed and (important) clean?

Avoid greasy/dirty hair - hair must be shampooed on the same or the previous day; avoid glaring, ill-matched colours and clothes; preferably be smart and casual - don't overdress or underdress with sloppy t-shirts; avoid jangly jewellery; wear minimal makeup (girls); do not wear powerful scents, deodorents, etc. - just enough to make you smell nice (not powerfully!); don't carry too much with you - just the bare essentials -your biodata, copies of your certificates (minimal), blank pages, etc.; carry a handkerchief in your pocket/purse so that you do not go in for the interview with sweating hands - dry them before you enter.

* Find out the place of the interview in advance; take a trip to find out how much time it will take you to reach there; on the interview day, leave the house with at least half an hour to spare; do not reach there too early.

OK, I have given you enough to start with!

Let me have your comments. Does anyone wish to add more?

Till then,

Jeroo

From India, Mumbai
archnahr

I posted these tips for Successful Interview long back, thought of sharing with you all, Although I'm much junior to Jerro Ma'm, Samvedan and Jeeva, but still I thought I could share some good tips, which I tell my students in Various institutes.

Here we go..............

BEFORE THE INTERVIEW

• Learn about the company and its operation. You'll impress the interviewer if it is obvious you've done some research. It will also help you develop good answers to the interviewer's questions.

• Information you should know about the company prior to your interview:

o Organizational structure

o Name of the interviewer

o Divisions/departments that interest you

o Areas they are eliminating

o Products/Services

o Training Programs

o Size of company

o Career paths

o How long have they been in business

o Types of clients

o Growth in the past and future potential

o Job description & job title

o New products and services they are developing

o Employee benefits

o Geographic location of home office, branches, stores

• Resources for this information:

o Company's annual report

o Literature produced by company

o Information interview

o Inside source

o Professional journals (library)

o Magazine articles

o Website

• Prepare answers to typical interview questions. Study and practice your answers.

• Decide what you will wear. Be sure your outfit is ready to go.

• Find out exactly where you are going, where to park, and how long it will take to get there If you are travelling in an unfamiliar city, it is a wise idea to do a dry run prior to your interview time. Drive to the business, park, find the escalator and time how long all this takes. This will alleviate any undue stress the day of the interview.

• Get a good night's sleep.

• Arrive 15 minutes early .This not only shows that you are prompt it also gives you a chance to gain your composure. Be friendly to the receptionist/secretary....they often are asked their opinion!

DURING THE INTERVIEW

• Start it off like a winner. Offer your hand, and give a firm handshake, a pleasant smile and a positive confident attitude. Introduce yourself.

• Be comfortable. Take a seat facing the interviewer, however, slightly off center. Be sure you are not facing into direct sunlight or some other uncomfortable situation.

• Listen attentively. Look at the interviewer directly, but don't get into a stare down! Sit up straight. Try to relax. It's okay to take a few notes if the questions are lengthy.

• Avoid nervous mannerisms. Pay attention to nervous mannerisms you might have such as clicking your pen, jingling change in your pocket, twisting your hair, biting your nails. Control these impulses! Everyone is nervous to some extent, the key is to appear calm and collected.

• Speak clearly. Use good grammar and a friendly tone. Never answer just "yes" or "no" to a question. Always clarify, expand on your answers. Be sure not to ramble on.

• Be positive and enthusiastic. You want to outshine all other candidates so "turn it on" during the interview! No matter how sterling your credentials are, you won't be hired if the interviewer isn't sold. Pump up your enthusiasm prior to the interview. Never whine, gripe or complain about past employers, jobs, classes etc.

• Ask pertinent questions. Be prepared to ask a few questions. Do not monopolize the interviewer's time, particularly if you know they have appointments scheduled following your interview. Do ask thoughtful questions. Don't ask about salary and benefits, this can be discussed when the company is definitely interested in you!

• Here's a sampling of questions you might ask.

o What are the company's greatest strengths?

o In what areas it the company trying to improve?

o Who will I report to?

o Could you give some examples of projects I would be working on?

o How much travel is involved?

o Will relocation be required?

o What kind of assignments could I expect in the first 6 months?

o What products (or services or stores) are in the development stage?

o Is this a new position or will I be replacing someone?

o What is the largst single problem facing your company now?

o What qualities are you looking for in a candidate?

o What characteristics do successful employees in your company share?

o Is there a lot of team work?

o Describe the advancement opportunities.

o What growth areas do you foresee?

o Will I be encouraged to attend professional conferences?

o Could you describe your training program?

o How frequently are performance appraisals done?

o How do you feel about the company?

o Could you describe possible advancements within the company?

o What is the next step in the interview process?

o What is the company's management philosophy?

o What would a typical day be like?

o How much contact is there with management?

o Is this job a result of increased growth or expansion?

• Watch for cues the interview is over. Don't linger if you sense the interviewer is done interviewing you. When it is over, stand up, thank the interviewer for their time and shake hands firmly. Don't forget to express interest in being hired. Say you are impressed with the company and would like to work there.

• Be sure to find out the next step. Ask the interviewer when the decision will be made, when you can expect to hear from them. This way you won't be left hanging.

Hope it will be of help.

Cheers

Archna

From India, Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.