No Tags Found!

Roshdavid
Hi Seniors,

I am currently employed in a company, where I find lots and lots of politics.

One particular wing of the organization which is considered to be the most important as that wings brings lot of revenues is out of control and so disorganized and every one takes up their position for silly reasons.

Also, as a HR I am able to see bad elements at work.

My own boss is playing double game and hardly I could trust him. He is so unstable and does not set an example as a leader. He is very much swayed by the strong group, which would keep him in Job. He delegates lots of job to me and makes it appear as though I have taken it up voluntarily. Gives a wrong picture to others that i unnecessarily involve in others domain. Also, He says whatever a person in the revenue yielding wing say is correct and I am wrong, and importance should be given only to them. Can also call as a step-mother attitude to our wing, does not provide enough tools for carry out the duties irrespective of repeated requests.

I have adjusted so much to them and have to lose my self-respect as they try to show their unreasonable upper handedness.

Is my decision for looking out for another is right? Or should I continue to stay in the same company.

Need your advice in this regard!

Also, Advise how a organization should be managed.

From India, Pondicherry
samvedan

Hello,

Your decision to look out for another job may or may not be right. If politics is the only or a main reason, then let me assure you that there is politics in all walks of life and in all forms organizations. You can never get away from organiztional politics permanently.

Organizational politics is the pollution that vitiates the organizational atmosphere and make performance dim and also weakens good people. In course time the attrition will be very high but no one will ever admit to politics.

HR, apart from many other things, is a "conscience keeping" function. The level at which HR is placed is immaterial. We have to be diplomatic, earn acceptance of the people we work with, gain their confidence and establish our credibility. A few things that must be noted carefully and practiced dedicatedly are:

1) Organization is above all.

2) Harmonize people's aspirations with organizational needs.

3) Transparency in actions.

4) Always act bona-fide and never avoid accounting for your bona-fide.

5) Practice consistency, continuity and equitability.

6) Value sanctification.

There are many more items in the list.

It is a very difficult task to eliminate politics from organizations, but when people see the paradigms on which the organizations work they acquire appropriate organizational orientation.

It is tough but challenging and extremely satisfying to bring about transformation in the organizations. One would rarely succeed fully but the nearer you reach your goals in this matter the greater service you are doing to the organization.

Each one has to decide for himself/herself. But it is the incompetent, the insecure and the insincere lot that resorts to playing politics within the organizations, as they have nothing better to do.

Consider the issue in a wider perspective and you will have your answere. For any more assistance the forum is always here anyway!

Regards

samvedan

June 29, 2007

From India, Pune
Roshdavid
Thank you so much Mr. Samvedan.
Please also advice how we can stop such bad practices like people who mobilize others to work against the management. Spreading negative remarks against management. Also, who treats his/her subordinates with hard hand like a taskmaster kind. Who keeps managment people out of his/her account of domain and keep it unchecked for any reason whatsoever. Unfair practices in his domain are name a few.
Please advice. Is turning a deaf ear and a blind eye to what's happening can be a solution to peaceful life.
Rising up in the same organizations amidst the seniors is an impossible task. Is it true? If false, how long will it take.
Please also advise will a good leadership have opposition and hatred?
Thanks in advance!

From India, Pondicherry
samvedan

Hi,

Turning a deaf ear is no solution to peaceful atmosphere and relationships. That will amount to giving up the fight for the "good" and giving in to the "evil" to "win" and destroy the organization eventually! If at all one reaches "peace" it will be short-lived.

In organizations "competence" has no substitute as it is the only input that keeps the organization growing and prospering. The path of competence, honesty and moral values was never easy. The struggle on this path is unavoidable.

Good leadership is not being "good" to people whether they deserve or not! In organizational context the good leadership only means effective leadership that is able to "deliver" within the norms of fairness, ethics and values.

Since the organizational is dynamic, at every step it needs an "appropriate" input. One standard approach is UNLIKELY win at all times in all situations. Therefore, sometimes one has to follow the soft approach while on other occassions one may have to take a tough stand on issues and insist upon a particular line of action. Unipolar strategies do not work under all conditions.

I recommend an approach of education, practice and lead by setting an example. One must not worry too much about criticism, rudeness and neglect beyond a point. Ultimately, one must understand that a "system" can be changed only from within and NOT from outside. Like Dr. Covey says, We are all guarding a gate of change within us and it can be opened only from inside."

Having said all that, I also state that despite best of our efforts and inputs, if the situations remain unchanged, it would be uneconomical to continue to "break our heads against the wall" as it were. Each one of us has a right to be in a sane society. The only problem is to decide when "enough is enough" and in these matters one has to go ONLY by his own judgement based on his own assessment of the situation.

Regards

samvedan

June 30, 2007

From India, Pune
wilfi
Hi

Lower order staff never creates politics. Even if it is created we can control by warning or dismissing those who create. But It is mostly created by Seniors and Management employees by showing favoritism, non-communicating properly, communicating the same job to two people, trying to get information from everyone, keeping spy etc etc. Hence, it is impossible to eradicate politics; we have to live with it without ourselves getting hurt.

More the politics, more problematic employees will be found who does unproductive job. Some times, Idiooot Bosses, contribute more to politics by their innocence or ignorance. Try to live with Politics. We cannot change anyone. However, you can try to change them diplomatically. Don't react to any situation by openly talking about your opinion to anyone in your office, even to the next person. You will not know through whom the information goes to the management. In a political environment there is no privacy neither inside nor outside office. Only Management can eradicate this by not micromanaging. Wait and watch. If situation is getting worse for your survival, then quit... else continue to contribute honestly whatever you can

Read this :

<link no longer exists - removed>

How to Work for an Idiot: Survive And Thrive Without Killing Your Boss

Hoover John

Now: Rs.

Format: Paperback

More books by Hoover John

Read more | Read reviews

Regards

Wilfred

From India, Madras
r.vijey

Hi Roshdavid,

I totally agree to what Sam says. I do had similar kind of situation or even worst to an extent of accusing me on the grounds of sexual harassment that to within one month of my joining. So don't expect anything we are bound to manage this but still at what cost is the real question.

Every time I have to prove myself to the Management that I am innocent and some one is playing politics and in spite of knowing who is behind this they are ignorant to act on the same.

At first I also felt frustrated as you are but this doesn't make sense if we cant handle few creatures like this we are not professionals. Go slow or put yourselves in formulating policies or statergy so that you don't get trapped into operational issues. Be polite and have a smile even if you burn inside. Do you job in a diplomatic way dont take it in a hard way.

You can always change your job but see to that it should be good to you in all aspects. Look for a career growth rather than looking out for a job.

Regard

Vijayakumar

From India, Coimbatore
hrhelpdesk

Dear Rosh,

I am also gone thruogh such situation, first of all i tried to make my place free from politics occuring at place, i have tried to pass messages to all top mgt to change their attitude and leadership style,

Against that few ppl had played politics against me, i was fighting for truth therefore after all loosing, i hadn't lost my confidence and respect. They had tried to terminate my services even, but truth has power, you belive or not, the strong supporter of my attitude has changed the situation. Finally, they had not changed their attitude, but i got better opportunity with world class org, and on the time of exit i have told to my CEO, if this culture will exist more, then be ready to find job for your self.

The same situation has been occured now, he got heavy loss in business due to competition, because of political environment, nobody has tried to improve on products and competitors has taken advantage.

Therefore, as per my opinion understand your duty and do what is right. If god is with you, then you will definately going to get opportunity to prove your self at your present job or somewhere else.

Regards

Virendra

Roshdavid
Dear All,

Thank you, Thank you so much for all your replies.

Your wisdom and guidance are awesome.

The knowledge that is not shared is valueless. Thank you for generously sharing your knowledge, experience, not just for me but for all those read this forum.

Currently, there is a situation where there is a dire need of proper infrastructure and s/w. I feel that this is the time to share my knowledge and ideas to the management when they revamp the s/w. I have framed everything, but my manager always rejects my input, very rarely he accepts. Convincing him is a big task I should say. He also does not want to cc my higher boss, but don't know if he would genuinely take up my ideas to his boss. Sometime back, after my oral requests gave no result, i sent a mail with a cc to the higher official. Somehow he managed the situation, but he rebuked me for doing so. But now please advice me if i should cc the higher boss as well all the proposal i have framed for a new system.

Expecting your valuable advice on this as well.

Regards,

Roshdavid.

From India, Pondicherry
r.vijey

Hi,
This method of marking CC will irritate any person if you really need a solution with the prior information to your super boss you can mark BCC. Pls don't keep complaining continuously it will not create a good impression better send some good mails also to your boss and also the super boss.
Don't expect them to accept all your requests even if its worth to be taken up. I don't say that boss is always right but prepare yourself for the position.
Regards
Vijayakumar

From India, Coimbatore
Roshdavid
Thank you Vijayakumar for your advice.

Actually i wanted to be transparent. Before I could send a mail of request i tried my best to work with the tech to sort out the problem myself. In front of others, he projected that this job is not very important as this was not money matter i.e. not production related.

This is what i called step-mother attitude. Though i did tell him before i could mail, but he was busy and didn't take it so seriously. It was not a complaint but was request for help in terms of technical. He said having cced to the super boss had put an impression that he was not taking care of the problem, but I was trying to say that this has to be acted upon quickly and i just trying to help him.

Also, i did this nearly 2 weeks before, having realized that that particular work would come to a grinding halt. However, my super boss took it very seriously and acted on it immediately.

Actually speaking, many aspects of administrative work has been hindered now because of the above-mentioned problem.

As you have said boss will not accept all ideas, but the essential ones has to be accepted and be encouraged instead of turning a person down.

As suggested I will try sending some good inspirational mails at times.

Also, competence is the best weapon to bring down politics. Also, the inside-out change would affect the whole organization.

I have noted every point shared and I will try to follow wherever I work. Also please feel free to share your experiences that may help all of us thrive in corporate politics.

Thank you once again.

Regards,

RoshDavid

From India, Pondicherry
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.