Seema Gopal
Hi Amit, Thanks for the inputs given. Kindly suggest what all activities HR can do to keep the employees motivated In a small size organization where money is a constraint. Regards, Seema
From India, New Delhi
sumir

Hi Amith,
From your suggestions I understand that it is not really appreciable for some one to diversify their main stream. But in my case, one year back I joined as a HR Executive with a recruitment firm though I am very much interested to work in the HR areas like competency mapping, assessment and development centre, and other such core HR practices. I would like you to suggest me what should be my stand point at this moment. Whether I should look for an opportunity in the interest area of mine or should I carry my career in recruitment itself. Kindly respond.
Regards,
Sumir

From India, Madras
ruchika_wisdom

hi seema,

Even i am sailing in the same boat like you and have some queries about it. Hope our seniors will help us out.

I am in generlist profile from last 10 months but still i feel there are lots of other things to be learned if i compare myself with the theortical knowledge which i learned in my MBA classes. My other classmates in which majority of them are working as RECRUITER are getting a very handsome salary. But they all seems to be doing that same monotonous job of hiring and hiring.

They are not aware of all other field of HR like grievence handling, Time office Mgmt, Maintaining Employee database, Performance Appraisal etc..

My confussion lies here is that people who are working in a generlist profile .. where they see themself after 5-10 years?

In the above chain of discussion hierarchy of HR was given but still point is not clear. In an HR dept we have a team of people working as recruiter, one handling Statutory obligations (Like ESI, PF & other legal matters), one for payroll, one for welfare activities ( canteen, time office etc) and may be other people as per the demand.

As general we see HR manager or above people as a person who have command over each of these fields.. so even we will call HR manager as a person of generalist profile.

But the difference lies is with the experience. Like people who are working in not so big organization and handling a profile of generalist are able to do all this stuff.

So what should be the next step for those people? Should they continue to be in same field or switching over to other field will be more beneficial?

Ruchika :)

From Singapore, Singapore
himaniprajapati

Dear all
I'm working in a small organization but in the mode of expansion. I got this placement through campus and as a fresher my package is high enough. I got the highest package in my college and I know as a fresher in HR I'm getting more than the industry norms. I'm looking for a change after 1year or may be before, this is because of the work culture. Though I'm the only HR in this organization and my profile is HR generalist. I’m concerned about my growth and will it be easy for me to switch easily with this kind of package?
Regards
Himani

parulmakkar

Dear Ruchika,

Though I am not very old enuff in the trade, still would like to give my opinion to ur query.

U asked: where do we see ourselves down the line in 5-10 years?

My opinion is: Based on the general industry trends, any employee in any field is expected to gain some sort of working experience with time. Now this 'time period' of ur work ex is the buzz word here. the more experience u have the greater chances u have to be on the top list of the career progression chain.

I feel you should NOT change ur field/area of expertise. Rather try and be the jack of all trades, which again, can only be acquired with time. So the older the wine the better it is. It would not necessarily mean that you have to touch all the areas from the top only , rathr take up one thing at a time and try and explore that, if not mastering that topic for that matter.

Even the CEO/GM/MD of any successful venture are Jack of all trades. Thus, if u wanna be on the top, try and learn everything decently. Let the time period of ur job play the role. and yes, NOT TO FORGET, performance in all ur key areas definitely gonna catapult u up in the hierarchy.

I hope i have contributed a little in clearing ur doubt.

Regards,

Parul

From India, Delhi
coolguy91179
Hi Ruchika,
Today is the era of specialization. The more you know about a subject the less it is.
We are in highly competitive times, and only the best will survive and climb up the corporate ladder.
Hence it is important to stick to ones field and not keep changing. It does not help to be jack of all and master of none.
In larger organizations there are separate departments for Recruitments and Human Resources. The general hierarchy followed is :
Trainee - HR
Executive - HR
Senior Executive - HR
Asst. Manager - HR
Manager - HR
Senior Manager - HR
Head - HR
AVP - HR
VP - HR
Sr. VP - HR
Thanks and Regards,
Karan Gandhi

Prativa

Hi,
Can anyone differenciate the roles...
HR Generalist and HR Representative
again I have one more question...
In BPO,ICO and IDO industries...
these are the short forms which making me cofuse as I am clear about only one i.e. BPO sector
plz reply....
Prativa

From India, New Delhi
mwaqar
I think there is no diffrence.The terminology differs from industry to industry.It all depends on the profile one is handling.
From India, Mumbai
kiran168
Hi Amit,
I have a few questions to ask too.
I intially started in technical recruitments and now i am getting an offer for the BPO recruitments...
Although i am ok with the profile or the kinda of work that i am doing currently.
How ever i neither want to stick to recruitments nor BPO .Plannin for SAP HR.Can you suggest plss

From India, Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.