No Tags Found!

Anonymous
Hi, I have been under a lot of stress recently and would request help from the folks here to shed some light on career gap issues.

I have close to 7 years of IT experience and recently I got an opportunity to work with a product-based company. I cleared all the rounds and was presented with an offer. The problem here is that I had around 7 years of a gap before I started my journey in IT

Struggled a lot to get my foot into the door and now this gap still haunts me as I feel that this might show up in BGV leading to rescinding of the offer.

Kindly shed some light here

From India, Hyderabad
Madhu.T.K

If you have been selected after a process of going through the CV which would obviously, show the gap, and a personal interview, why should the background verification agent harm you for the gap? That is not his headache. It is true that you had filled the gap with any fake service, but so long as there is a gap in service, or gap after your graduation and that is known to the employer, why should you worry? The background verification broker (I call them as brokers though they feel that they are detectives) has no right to question you but can only say that there is a gap. When it is written in the CV itself, it is implied that the employer should be knowing it. Then why should they report it as negative attribute?
From India, Kannur
Anonymous
Hi Madhu, I have only mentioned my work experience, which are all genuine and did not coverup the gaps with any fake services. Even in the interview they have not gone thorough asking my pass out year or any such gaps as I have not specifically mentioned graduation year only the college and the degree.

I have shared all the documents to the HR and the offer letter was initiated. Just wanted to know if I will face in BGV as I came to know they will ask for gap certificate.

From India, Hyderabad
Madhu.T.K

As I said it is will not come under the scope of work of the background verification agency. Therefore, there is nothing to worry about.
From India, Kannur
raghunath_bv

Hi,
First of all, congratulations on securing an offer with a product-based company! It's clear that you've overcome significant challenges to reach this point, and that's an achievement worth acknowledging.
Addressing a career gap can be a concern for many, but there are strategies you can employ to navigate this situation effectively:

Be Transparent:
During the background verification process, it's essential to be transparent about the career gap. Provide a clear and honest explanation for the gap, emphasizing how you utilized that time to enhance your skills or address personal matters. Honesty is key.
Highlight Your Skills and Achievements:

Emphasize the skills and experiences you gained during your 7 years in IT. Showcase any achievements, projects, or certifications that demonstrate your competence and relevance to the position you're being considered for.

Demonstrate Continuous Learning:
Showcase any efforts you've made to stay updated in the IT field during your career gap. Mention any courses, certifications, or self-directed learning you've undertaken to enhance your skills.

Networking:
Leverage your professional network. If you have mentors, colleagues, or industry contacts who can vouch for your skills and work ethic, ask if they would be willing to provide a reference. Personal recommendations can carry a lot of weight.

Show Enthusiasm and Commitment:
Express your passion for the field and your commitment to staying current. Employers value candidates who are not only qualified but also enthusiastic about the work and industry.

Seek Guidance from HR:
If you feel comfortable, you might consider having a candid conversation with the HR representative handling your case. Discuss your concerns and seek guidance on how best to address the career gap during the verification process.
Remember, employers often understand that people may have gaps in their career for various reasons. What matters is how you've utilized that time and how well you align with the requirements of the position you're applying for.

Lastly, it's crucial to maintain confidence in your abilities and the value you bring to the company. Your 7 years of IT experience and the effort you've put into securing this opportunity demonstrate your resilience and determination. Good luck with your new role!
May God Bless.
Thanks,

From India, Bangalore
Anonymous
Hello Mr Raghunath,

In case if BGV suggests 5 or 7 years of employment should I specifically mention the gap period. As I already have the experience for those years, should I still go ahead and mention the gap years in BGV Form. Kindly let me know on how to proceed.

From India, Hyderabad
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.