No Tags Found!

Balaji Kuppuswamy

ROOM FOR ELEVATION:
If there is a legitimate room for elevation then that is permissible. But taking undue advantage of the role given to him to play for a shorter span of time, would not lead naturally to move to a ladder up in career.
You need to take a stock of the situation and try to clearly put a demarcation of the roles and responsibilities of the person in question.
Everywhere, when he tries to over play or act smart, his activity must be curtailed so as to clearly indicate that his work is limited to a role, where he cannot go beyond that.
It is not right to speak out, whether he is in "need" or not, once a Manager is there, none of the sub-ordinates can take over his role at any point of time, unless the situation warrants.
KB

From India, Madras
sunita1j@yahoo.com

Excellent remark from you Niku....i am 100% with you!!!

"Its not due..Its more of competence.. I would suggest you need to to a introspection as I have encountered the same issue in my team and automatically people tend to fall on the side where the real value stand..

Do your own valuation as the same team is not comming to you despite your presence..

You should do valuation on following areas..

A. Knowledge Leadership on last 1 yr - 1______5 Scale

B. Process & System Leadership ________-Do_____

C. Initative & Recoginations _________Do________

D. EQ & IQ _________Do_____

Just honestly do a swot analyis you will get the answer, no junior can dare to do so untill he has potenital and you have weekness.. Politics will harm you, its beter you work & show your strength as a boss and soon things will be in your hand untill you have done nothing in last 1 yr..See subordinates are really like childeren and they evaluate you every second so you cannot challenge their judgement. Also person who has taken you as a replacement will have automatic respect if you would have shown some exemplery track record..."

From United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Ash Mathew

Balaji - I am not talking about the "need" of the person being there - but an individuals need for working. Example - my need for working is definitely to grow further in my career and not get stuck with one activity. For this - I would try to assume higher responsibilities, and delegate simpler tasks to my junior.. going forward, I would see how best I can advance and also let my juniors grow. But if I stand in the same position, fearing about someone taking my role- would I not be Just another Normal human? What makes me different? What brings me success?

There is one question that we also need to answer - what if a person comes to you and say "Hey I can do my task really well, but my senior manager is thinking that I will take on him/her, so he/she is not letting me grow"..wont we say "So what if your boss feels afraid, maybe he is not good at this task and so you should continue showing your performance and move up the ladder"

Wont we advice the person this way?

Same way - I also want Nithya to answer - why the delay? The leave was taken last year in Dec - just 10 days. In 10 days NO ONE can change things that we can control, unless and until he is really good, or - if we are not so good.

Think

From India, Madras
nithya_hr

Hey Asha ,
There was no delay in my action !!!
I Have taken all the steps to make him understand his role. I Just posted it as the intention is there in his mind though he obeys my instructions he has an gut feeling.
In 10 days time there was some understanding developed in him and client , he passes all info happening in team !!!!!! which client is sure i can not be like that. client needed a spie he is the one. but we don have proof. hope u understand

From India, Madras
sunita1j@yahoo.com

Hi Nithya,

I can completely understand the pain of being taken over by some of your junior. Somehow, this incidence reflects one of your personality trait which shows that you are a very fair and decent person. You feel that if I am all clean and do not step on anyone, no one else will do the same to me. However, this is where you are wrong. This is the high time when you must understand that corporate world is a thankless world and no one cares for anyone, all the managment wants is high level of competency to handle the department. Clients are the most important people for any managment and if this candy of yours has good relation with the clients then I must say he must be real competent guy.

I still wonder why your reaction time got delayed by alomost an year?? I mean what was it that you were waiting for??

Anyways, now the solution part:

You have to be slightely mean. I am sure even your manager will not be with your side in actual sense, so now you have to take over:

Call for a meeting-rather a very strong meeting from your side with very strong commanding sense.\

Brief everyone's roles and responsibilities to each of your team member.

Make it a point that no mails goes out without you being kept in CC

Make sure no major decisions are beign taken without your approval

Ensure that you are the first point fo contacts for th clients

You have to work really hard to take over clients confidence in you

Be slightely mean, keep your team engaged insome or the other work, so that no one will have time to go against you

Check their performance on regular basis, give them nice classes in case they mess up

Last but not the least...dont compromise with your peace of mind...keep your cool....consistently improve your knowledge in your field.....

Take Care and all the best,

From United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Balaji Kuppuswamy

Ash,
While i agree to your explanation, Nithya reports as information leaked outside as breach of confidentiality.
If the person really having talent and willing to grow, it is well and good, as you say, as a generous view, a manager can let the knowledgeable person grow and move up the ladder. But if the person misuses the authority, then the question will not be of use.
Hope i make my point clear.
thanks for coming up to clear with your explanation.
rgds
balaji

From India, Madras
Ash Mathew

Dear Nithya,

If thats the case - you should not put it across to your senior as "team member trying to take over team manager's role". It should be this way - "team member given access to certain information, that seems to be passed on to teh client and can prove disruptive for business". Or "Breach of confidentiality agreement"...simple right?

In this case - how will he pass on information? Only if he has access to teh information right? (Now please I want people to understand access of information does not mean only from the computer or confidential soft/hard documents - its not JUST this). Check how that can be stopped.

If you tell your boss - the person is trying to over take your role, it will only appear less appealing to your boss. It will appera that your are afraid. (It did appear that way to me! apologies). SO make sure he has no contact with the client through teh usual means (phone? email?) and also - if at all that is required, it has to be copied to you.

Take control Nithya..and yes you are late at this point. See, anyone can initiate necessary steps. But the follow-up? Seems like you let the situation continue this way for a year. UIf you had already taken any initiative(and constantly followed-up on this) you would have by now had this team person in your control. See where you missed it - did you just warn/tell him and leave it? Or did you catch him doing it each time and create a proper system to monitor? Did you have control over his mode of communication? DO you have the facts to prove he has been floating confidential information? If you do have the last one - you need to take a call dear.. how long will you wait further?

(for all the people out there - "system to monitor" need not be just a mere technical lingo!)

From India, Madras
Ash Mathew

Balaji - I am talking in context of "team member trying to take manager's role"
Thats it. And yes - Nithya has to think if the topic should be "breach of confidentiality agreement"..or "Delay in monitoring" - not what ever she has given as the topic.
(Nithya - I am not trying to be harsh - but certain things we need to ask ourselves and start working on it - its never too late, you can still have a control over this guy.. this is called "leadership"

From India, Madras
Balaji Kuppuswamy

Ash, Agreed. Its a leadership quality by which the situation can be brought under control. Its a good point that you highlighted. very clear explanation and thanks, Balaji
From India, Madras
Sanjeet Verma
Dear nithya
Actually the team member are thinking that your assistant is one of them and they feel more comfortable with your assistant so he is demanding simultaneously he is more reliable for clients so clients prefer to him.
Sanjeet

Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.