No Tags Found!

amitvj
All,
I have a question. If the GR clearly mentions a "paid" holiday, can any organization ask its employees to work on some other non-working day in lieu of holiday on 7th or 16th Feb? While I believe this will remain always at the discretion of the organization, doesn't doing so violate the GR?
~Amit.

From India, Pune
Tushar_Kulkarni

Dear Amit
Employer can ask to compensate the Election Paid Holiday given to employees. Also as mentioned in the GR if the work is of dangerous or absence of employee creates huge loss then the GR is not applicable, only two hours special leave can be given to vote.

From India, Pune
EccentricallyMad
The document does not explain which companies/organizations fall into the category of services that might incur huge losses due to closure. Do pvt ltd companies fall in that category or do they mean hospitals or any other public service organizations. All companies have taken the advantage of the paragraph that mentions employees can be granted 2 hrs exemption from work to vote.
Ritesh

From India, Mumbai
Tushar_Kulkarni

Dear All

Given is the Section 135 B (4) of Representation of people act 1951 which defines about holiday on election.

1[135B. Grant of paid holiday to employees on the day of poll.—

(1) Every person employed in any business, trade, industrial undertaking or any other establishment and entitled to vote at an election to the House of the People or the Legislative Assembly of a State shall, on the day of poll, be granted a holiday.

(2) No deduction or abatement of the wages of any such person shall be made on account of a holiday having been granted in accordance with sub-section

(1) and if such person is employed on the basis that he would not ordinarily receive wages for such a day, he shall nonetheless be paid for such day the wages he would have drawn had not a holiday been granted to him on that day.

(3) If an employer contravenes the provisions of sub-section (1) or sub-section (2), then such employer shall be punishable with fine which may extend to five hundred rupees.

(4) This section shall not apply to any elector whose absence may cause danger or substantial loss in respect of the employment in which he is engaged.

Nothing related to which industry or sector about causing danger / loss.

Regards

Tushar

From India, Pune
michelle.henriques
Hi, Can any one please let me know, if the majority of companies have decided to give employees an off or if they have asked to report to work 2 hours late. Thanks, Michelle
From India, Mumbai
Latika.Perl
Dear Harshal , Can we request our seniors to declare a holiday tomorrow ? Regards, Lata Chauhan
From India, Pune
hdaftardar

Dear Lata,
Its your company policy as you have not mentioned what type of industry is it? In case if its possible you can offer a two hours concession for employees to execute their right of vote and which will be leagally justified.
Regards,
Harshal

From India, Mumbai
Latika.Perl
Dear Harshal , I am working for Retail Industry and still we havenot got the confirmation o declare a holiday. Can you please help me out ? Regards, Lata
From India, Pune
Latika.Perl
Hi Michelle , We want to request our mangment to declare a holiday on alternate saturday. can you please help me out to putforth some strong points infornt of them. Regards, Latika
From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.