Hi Friends,
One of my friend had worked in a co. approx 6 years. He was some irregular since 3 months and was on leave for a week before leaving the co. After expiry of his leaves he had not joined and had tender his resignation suddenly without given notice period. He had also availed more than 20 leaves during the service of existing calendar year. In that case employer is not doing clear his full &final settlement. employer saying submit the outstanding amount (like notice period, over leaves availed etc). Help me out, is it possible to adjust outstanding amount from his earned gratuity payment etc. Should my friend pay the co. dues before his settlement? Legally employer can do this? Please advised.

12th August 2017 From India, Calcutta

Dear RD,
As per the protection provided for u/s 13 of the Payment of Gratuity Act,1972, no deductions nor any adjustment towards any dues to the employer could be made from the amount of gratuity payable to an employee under the Act. But I faintly remember the Kolkotta High Court took a departure and probably ruled that some outstanding dues to Employees' Co-op Society can be adjusted from the amount of gratuity payable to an employee - I am not sure. The dues mentioned in your post are compensatory in nature due to the non-fulfillment or breach of the contract of employment by the employee. Therefore, no adjustment could be made against such dues from his gratuity even if the employee is willing to do so by compulsion.
13th August 2017 From India, Salem
Employee can authorise in writing to the company to recover the dues from gratuity if it is being paid directly by the company. Where there is gratuity trust then dues can not be recovered from the gratuity amount. Employee will be required to clear the dues first as the trust is legally a separate entity.

Warm Regards

Bharat Gera
HR consultant
15th August 2017 From India, Thane

Agree with Mr.Umakanthan and Bharat here that Gratuity amount cannot be adjusted or withheld for any dues from employee.

Venkata Vamsi Krishna
16th August 2017 From India, Hyderabad

Discuss problems openly with your peers around the world without getting into company or personal specifics. Create Account

Disclaimer: This network and the advice provided in good faith by our members only facilitates as a direction. The advice should be validated by proper consultation with a certified professional. The network or the members providing advice cannot be held liable for any consequences, under any circumstances.

About Us - Advertise - Contact Us - RSS   On Google+  
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms Of Service
Facebook Page | Follow Us On Twitter | Linkedin Network