Tax Consultant

Cite.Co is a repository of information and resources created by industry seniors and experts sharing their real world insights. Join Network
Hello Seniors,
Yesterday I received a notice from the income tax department that I have not paid tax in 2002-2003 assessment years.
I was working for a small company then. As per my tax documents the amount was deducted as TDS. Proof is available.
So it has to have been remitted with tax department.
I then joined another company and have been with them since 2004. Here I have paid my taxes regularly. Proof again available.
Previous company closed down in 2005. I don't know where the owners and accountants live.
What should I tell the income tax people? I do not know if the company gave my TDS to tax dept. I assumed that they will do it.
If they have eaten the money or spent it, then is it my fault? I was only a developer. I had no insight into management functions.
Will tax dept. ask me to pay the money?

From India, Bangalore
Lot of persons facing these problems now a days. You must aproach your IT Officer, and he can only help you to solve this issue. You produce the TDS Certificates and Income statements before him and convince him that the liability is not on your shoulder . He will make the necessary corrections.

From India, Kottayam
This discussion thread is closed. If you want to continue this discussion or have a follow up question, please post it on the network.
Add the url of this thread if you want to cite this discussion.

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2020 Cite.Co™