Hi Everyone,
Please help me with a situation where one of our employee is not performing consistently. She has some serious issues at home related to her father's health. It's been 2 years we are supporting her. After so many warnings and counselling, she is still the same. Also, has attitude problems. What step can we take in this case?
Kindly suggest.
Thanks & Regards,
Gazal Kalia
HR Manager

From India, Chandigarh

You will have to strike a balance.
Welfare and work can go together but welfare should not dominate and allow work to suffer.
Call the lady and have a full counselling session with her.
hear her out in full-problems of father and any other.
Give her time to prepare for this counselling session(1or 2 days)
From your side as company representative-arm yourself with her performance,leave details,details of earlier counselling,attitudinal issues.
The give her short period of time to pull up her performance.
Put her HOD to mentor and monitor her.
If there is no improvement over pre decided period of time,think of giving her an exit path,if so warranted.
How are her peers performing?

From India, Pune

What is your objective: Are you looking for an improvement in the employee? OR Are you looking for a proper way to let her go?

Work-life balance is personal responsibility & cannot be enforced by employer. Please focus on your problems & do not try to solve her problems....

I know of employees who have left their jobs, in order to full time attend the parents with critical health issues.

If you have already tried warnings & counseling’s, then please give her clear choice between:

1. If she wants to continue at same position (continued responsibilities) & is ready to shift the work-life balance to work more?

2. If she wants to leave the job so company does not affect any further of her personal issues.

3. If she is ready to compromise at her position / responsibilities / promotions / increments for certain period of time (Until recovery of her father & she can devote attention towards work again). In that case, you can reduce some of her responsibility & let her work below her capacity, in order to retain job for her & service for your company; in lue of reduced / unchanged monitory compensations (This concept is same as extended not-paid leaves actually).

Third option can provide a win-win solution, but it has to be clearly discussed, based on availability & possibility to get deviations within your company policies.

If she insists on first option, but fails to your standards, then she any way gets the third option (i.e.: no recognition from job).

If she chooses the second option, then you can hire someone to replace the responsibilities & handle them with more dedication.

Again, everybody has personal problems & different preferences to handle them. Employer / HR should not try to interfere in them. So, none of the above options are wrong or right.... You can actually help her by posing clear path choices & let her choose.

Best Regards,

Amod Bobade.

Hello Gazal Kalia,
While I am with Amod Bobade that Work-life balance is primarily a personal responsibility, with the employer being ONLY in a supportive role, I see there are multiple issues in what you mentioned.
1] The employee's father's health issue
2] The employee's attitude issue
3] The employee's performance issue.
Now, to what extent are each of them inter-related depends on other factors....with the brief inputs you gave, it's tough to take any guess on this aspect.
Can you give more details of the situation, like:
1] What is your Company into--which sector?
2] Since when is this lady working with you?
3] Was her performance and/or attitude OK prior to her father's health taking a hit?
4] Any idea of what the health issue is?
5] Does she have any family support? Or rather, what's her family background?
6] What do you mean by 'has attitude problems'?
Sometimes, in such situations 'warnings and counselling' OR even firing may NOT be the most appropriate measures.
More detailed the inputs, more the chances of the members giving actionable suggestions.

From India, Hyderabad
Hi Gazal,
From your post it is confirmed that you have warned her in written and had a counsel with her. But no improvement ,nevertheless. You may contact HR dept. to initiate process to separate her. HR will follow their process to separate in a legal way.
Best Regards

From India, New Delhi

If you are knowledgeable about any fact, resource or experience related to this topic - please add your views using the reply box below. For articles and copyrighted material please only cite the original source link. Each contribution will make this page a resource useful for everyone.

Please Login To Add Reply →

About Us Advertise Contact Us Testimonials
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2021 CiteHR™

All Material Copyright And Trademarks Posted Held By Respective Owners.
Panel Selection For Threads Are Automated - Members Notified Via CiteMailer Server