Here a goes an article which i have gone through over some hr site. I would like to know whether the following is applicable to our Work conditions?
Illegal Interview Questions and How to Handle Them
Illegal Interview Questions
Be prepared for your job interviews by knowing and understanding that there are certain questions that you do not have to answer.
In fact, certain questions are illegal.
To avoid hiring particular persons because of the following types of information is legally discriminatory. It is illegal. While the following list may not include every single possibility of illegal information, generally these alternatives within certain questions are illegal to question:
* Name: Interviewers cannot ask a woman for a maiden name. They may not ask anyone whether they would prefer Mr., Miss, Mrs., or Ms. as a form of address (trick question). An interviewer may not ask, "What does your name mean?" This includes your first, last, and middle names.
* Age, unless you are under 18 and an employer does not/cannot hire minors. This includes date of graduation from high school and your birth date.
* National Origin, unless you are an illegal/undocumented immigrant. An employer may be able to help you with the immigration and naturalization process.
Where were your parents born?
Your name is interesting - what nationality is it?
What is your native language?
How did you learn languages besides English?
* Birthplace (yours)
* US Citizenship (Interviewers may only ask WHETHER you can prove your eligibility to work in the USA). After you are hired, you must present the proof.
* Residence: An interviewer cannot ask you with whom you live or whether you live alone or with relatives or friends, or whomever.
* Skin Color
* Personal Information:
How tall are you? How much do you weigh? [Don't scoff; I have been asked this.]
What are your clothing sizes and/or measurements? (Not even for a uniform, until you are hired)
* Gender/Sex (male, female, or hermaphrodite)
* Sexual Orientation (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transsexual, transvestite, asexual, other)
* Photographs (Interviewers cannot ask for one until you until you are hired, except in the case of some government positions.)
* Questions suggesting sexual harassment
Interviewers are not permitted to ask you to define sexual harrassment, to talk about witnessing or experiencing it, or anything about it at all.
* Religion, Faith, or Atheism, unless the employer is a legally organized church
Illegal: What do you do on Sunday? What holidays do you observe?
* Illness and Health Status
An interviewer is not allowed to ask you if you have chronic health problems or how your health is generally - not even about eyeglasses.
* Disability (physical or psychological, including the use of drugs and alcohol)
* Past Workers Compensation Claims
* Illness or Disability of Relatives
* Emergency Contact Information until after you are hired.
An interviewer cannot legally ask for the name, relationship, or address of any person to be notified in case you have an emergency, until after you are hired.
* Marital Status
* Family Status (children, childcare, pregnancies, caring for aged parents, etc.)
Interviewers are not to ask anything about family at all. They cannot ask if you have any relatives working for the company.
* Legal Record, except for crimes specifically related to the job duties. (An interviewer cannot just ask. "Have you ever been arrested?")
* Legal Record of Family Members (Interviewers should not ASK you about family records, but perform a background check on you alone.)
* Military Service (An interviewer can ask you only what type of training you may have had in any military time that you served. They may not ask what branch or what type of discharge.)
* Financial Status and Debts
* Club or Association Memberships, especially those that include any of the above categories
From India, Hyderabad
Tx for your confirmation. I was just not too sure of it and so wanted it be confirmed.
But, When we sincerely observe the foreign norms,is it not necessary to consider these laws too?
From India, Hyderabad