Maybe this is late to write regarding your question, but at least maybe this discussion would be useful for some other folks; whom searching for the same topic. Nevertheless as I had observed all the comments regarding your question, still I am confused about the main part of the question which is (is there any difference between competency based and behavior based interviews)
Yes, there is a lot of difference between these two types of interview, hence let me briefly explain to you as follows;
• In the competency based interview question, the recruiter is trying to identify those core competency which is necessary to differentiate the higher performer from the slow performer, and the main core competencies are reflected from competency matrix of the position.
• Thus, in the competency based interview we are trying to identify, what will the candidate will perform, in a specific situation which may occur in the future, in order to identify how the candidate is in terms of the performance.
• In the behavioral interview question, the recruiter is trying to identify what the candidate did in the past in a specific circumstance, to know the specific action/result.
Nevertheless, regarding your senior management concern which they think, there is the probability that a person makes a story from their own side and present to the panel members, its not much solid reason, and it's not possible.In the competency base interview, the panel will have a lot of probing questions , such as following :
• Please tell me a situation which your communication skill made a difference to senior management decisions?
• What have you learned from this action?
• If you want to perform again the same action in the future, what changes will you bring into your action?
• In your point of view is there any other way to approach better to result of this case?
However selection techniques are changing day by day due to the needs of the market and organization, please study as much as possible about this question, and please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any question to this by 1st April 2014 From Singapore, Singapore