Javenna
Dear HR Professionals, Please, I need your advice on this matter:

I joined a fishing company in February 2021 as an HRM and there was no existing HR dept. the company established over 3 decades or more with staff strength above 600 employees and a unionized company in Nigeria.

I carried out an HR audit and in conclusion, was no process in place, no documentation of performance, no job description, no training record, career planning, recruitment and others are out of place. the MD lays importance on reviewing the handbook urgently, which I have concluded, there was gratuity calculation on the old handbook like these,1-5years = one basic salary for every completed year plus variable pay, 5-10years 3moths salary plus variable, 10-above 5months salary plus variable for every completed year. The new handbook has not been reviewed and approved. (example gratuity of an accountant who has served the company for 30 years is mounting 15 million naira. DRIVER .17 MILLION)

My questions: how should I nullify this old gratuity practice to avoid the risk of massive resignation, when the new gratuity calculation of basic salary* a number of years are introduced.

Is there any legal implication of voiding and null old gratuity calculations, using the new general practice?

How do I handle non-active employees due to age, they have been causal for 15years and recently convert to the permanent employee in 2020 but cannot do the job due to age, how do we calculate their benefit.

How do we handle crew personnel’s that are having consistent blood pressure, we have crews onshore but can’t utilize due to HBP, we ending up sourcing for third parties pls what the law says about this,

How do I handle a transport officer that deliberately delays or denies me access to a driver for official work, when I call from our Jetty office to request for a driver to pick from the jetty office to head office, he ignores my call and messages except I use the unknown number before he picks, it's affecting me?

And Employees including accounts, GM corporate affairs, and others saw me as an intruder, how do I change this perception?

What is your view of the admin officer countering my meeting venue on the mail, I generated without consulting me?

Please, my professional I need your advice on the above-mentioned matters;

From Nigeria, Lagos
umakanthan53

Dear Javenna,
Every country has its own labor laws or regulations. Particularly, if a country is a member of the ILO and ratified its conventions on service conditions of labor from time to time, certainly there would be the laws or regulations in place.
Therefore, it is better for you to verify the labor laws of Nigeria and assess the maintainability of the provisions of your company's regulations. If they run counter to the legal provisions of the concerned laws, you have the justification to make amends.

From India, Salem
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.