shreya105
Hi Friends,
Should salary matters be confidential....?????
1. when this question ask to employees they always say- No it shouldn't
&
2. when ask by us (HR people) we always say It should.
so friends i want to know your suggestion what is right..?

From India, Delhi
htdesai

Hi Shreya,
From HR point of view it should be confidential always. If employees talk about their salaries themselves HR can't help. SO if you are in HR u need to take care that salaries remain confidential from u end.
Enjoy,
Harshad

From India, Mumbai
mojo

Yes it must be confidential.
As commented by Harshad, if they share it between themselves then we cannot do anything but we need to remind them that these information should be kept confidential, specifically highlight during the orientation. The salary given is dependent upon a person's knowledge, skills and experience. If people start comparing then you'd have a lot of ill feelings or dissatisfaction or people claiming there's favoritism etc etc etc. You don't want to get yourself into that kind of situation.
What employees should know rather is the, salary range, the max limit of salary that they will get for their current post, hence when they reach the limit, they will have to work hard to be upgraded/promoted to start earning more, gives them something to work for. Also, you do not have to keep increasing the pay for someone who doesn't want to upgrade themselves or doesn't perform.
my humble thoughts

From Malaysia, Kuching
Sanjeev.Himachali

There are many factors that we consider while deciding the salary of people but they do not see that. Hence, salaries should always be confidential.

Some the factors that are considered while deciding the salary are:

1) Your Last Drawn Salary

2) Your Education Level

3) Companies and industries that you have worked in

4) Your total and relevant experience

5) Relocation etc.

Employees, do not consider these factors when they decide to discuss their salaries. For them, its only their age and “total experience”. This actually leads to unrest within the company.

Just to give you one example. In one of my previous companies I had two employees, both were in 29 years of age and having 5 years of experience. One was getting a salary of 2 Lakhs Per Annum and Another was getting 20 Lakhs per annum. Hence, the person with lesser salary came to HR and just said, “we both are having similar amount of experience then why there is a difference in salaries. Does this mean that he is more hardworking?” The actual facts of this case are:

“Both were of similar age. Both were MBA’s. Both were having 5 years of experience. But, one did his studies from IIT-Kanpur and IIM-Kolkata and worked with American Express for three years in New York, USA”. Do you see any reason for another person to compare his salary and feel sad and unhappy about the fact that they are getting different salaries?

Hence, this is a reason, why salaries should be confidential.

I hope, this will help you.

Regards

Sanjeev

From India, Mumbai
Madhu.S

Hi Shreya,
Greetings!
am sure you will agree with me to the fact that Exit Interviews never give the real picture as to why employees leave Organisations. It is known that Peer Comparison is one of the very important reason for Employee Attrition. It is not always neccesary that people with similar Education background and simlar Expertise and Simlar experience will have to compensated equally. We might put people in Bands and it our bounden responsibillty to maintain confidentiality as far as Remuneration goes. Thats the essence behind this.
Hope i cleared your query.
Regards,
Madhu.S

From India, Madras
sreekumar.j

certainly...by making salary information confidential, you can avoid unnecessary conflicts in office (peer 2 peer , peer 2 manager etc).
From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.