No Tags Found!

Anonymous
Hello Friends,
I am in a situation and looking for suggestions please.
After a long 2yrs of pregnancy break, I joined an IT company as a senior HR executive with 6+yrs of experience. Though I am in HR but profile is of change management and HR generalist kind of role and have to co-ordinate virtually with Management in US, so practically there is no one from Senior management in India.
For first three months I was asked to observe all processes, derive possible solutions, etc. But while doing so I wasn't allowed to have an access to HR records, existing documents, had to really struggle to get required information. After all, when I started proposing for required changes and ways of doing it, was stopped at every point while maximum of my work was kept on hold in midway. Now I see that the changes proposed by me are now being forwarded to other colleagues in HR and they are executing the same.
I am unable to understand how they have made a judgement that I was not able to complete any of the projects (though major decisions are pending at the end of management or was kept on hold) and as a result they have extended my confirmation.
Today, I had meeting with management and where CEO appreciated my work, dedication, meticulous attitude but showed his concern over my audacious attitude and not doing "Yes boss" job. According to him whatsoever is the situation do not stop boss from doing wrong, do not ask why or what and let the things go as the boss says. If I can adjust with this culture I can think of continuation else there is no point in continuation.
Now, I am confused what to do in this situation? Really trying to understand is there a problem with my attitude or the company culture.
I truly believe that change has to face resistance from all possible directions but if our intent and approach is right things will line up accordingly.
Sorry if this post seemed irrelevant to some and thank you in advance for taking time to read and reply.
I truly appreciate your suggestions and would be keenly looking forward to have as many as suggestions as possible.
Regards,
HR fellow.

From India, Noida
Dinesh Divekar

Dear friend,
You have written that "Today, I had meeting with management and where CEO appreciated my work, dedication, meticulous attitude but showed his concern over my audacious attitude and not doing "Yes boss" job. According to him whatsoever is the situation do not stop boss from doing wrong, do not ask why or what and let the things go as the boss says. If I can adjust with this culture I can think of continuation else there is no point in continuation."
The above paragraph gives reply to your query. No further explanation is required as such.
By the way, may I remind you that you work in India? Going with the flow is norm and swimming against the tide is always fraught with the risk. It appears that you have taken that risk.
Now you have two options. One is to fall in line and obey what CEO says. Second is to plough your lonely furrow. While former option will increase chances of your continuation, latter could rock your tenure in the company. Therefore, the choice is yours!
Thanks,
Dinesh Divekar
+91-9900155394

From India, Bangalore
Anonymous
Dear Dinesh,
Thank you for taking time and your kind reply, really appreciate it.
Being in "Change Management" profile, formulating SOP's, SLA's, Policies is a mundane thing for us while doing this we have to at times take risks, try one of the other strategies that best fits organisations need and culture. Whilst being worked with major MNC's (except this company) have never came across with any allegations pointing on attitude and work style, so this time it's really a different experience. Change is followed by brainstorming, debates and have thought differences is normal and what happens in meeting rooms stays in meeting rooms.
So, now point is whether it's an attitude problem or a company culture problem?
Thanks in advance for your kind reply.
Regards,
HR fellow.

From India, Noida
nathrao

Change management is always difficult as it needs a clear vision which should be communicated to all stakeholders within the company..
Change can come about only when there is consensus and full support of top management.
One must be certain what should be the outcome of change and work in that direction with full involvement and support of top brass.
Many establishments talk of all proper management terms but do not implement them as it entails change in their attitude.
Sometimes a go getter is categorised as a person with attitude.
One needs to be discreet and choosy in words used in interactions with superiors.Impressions are made on small issues at times and it sticks on.
You need to make discreet changes in your words/actions to avoid getting into a clash with boss who seems to be a vintage model who wants "yes " people around.
Probably when there is a positive result even in short term due to your work,boss may change his mind.
Eventually one has to decide whether he/she can make the changes in basic nature/mindset and adjust or bide time to change job in the circumstances where boss does not appreciate the work being done.
From the little bit you wrote, it could be company culture issue or individual boss issue.
Play the cards carefully and see how things work out.

From India, Pune
Dinesh Divekar

Dear friend,
This is my reply to your second post.
Though you have been appointment for "Change Management", did you have authority to execute the change? In India, bosses decide the framework of change and juniors are expected to work within that frame. Those who try to go out of that frame, are considered as maverick. Your intentions might to noble, you could be working in the interest of the company but the overriding factor is to cherish boss's requirement(s) and priorities.
Therefore, what you could have done or even do hereafter is to propose change, get it approved in written document and do as much boss tells you to do. This is the mantra of survival if you wish to to be successful in India!
Thanks,
Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Nagarkar Vinayak L

Dear HR colleague,
If your side of the story is to be believed, apparently it appears culture issue. But difficult to pinpoint as several undercurrents may be in the background.
If your CEO was appreciative of your work , his observation about your attitude as coming in the way of end objectives of change management( my interpretation) is ununderstandable.
I would suggest that since you are in change management role, continue to work with same zeal for some more time by meandering your way through ego issues, personalty clashes etc and if need be to modify your own attidude and move forward with your agenda.
You need to find space for yourself and give time to try your potential to succeed against all odds before push comes to shove to quit.
If despite all-out effort to your satisfaction to bring about change does not work and because of unchangeable culture issue , look for new pastures, though it would be an unfortunate defeat for someone in change management role.
Regards,
Vinayak Nagarkar.
HR-Consultant.

From India, Mumbai
Arif ur Rehman

Dear Perturbed Colleague:
I have also taken out the exact quote as brother DD did, "Today, I had meeting with management and where CEO appreciated my work, dedication, meticulous attitude but showed his concern over my audacious attitude and not doing "Yes boss" job. According to him whatsoever is the situation do not stop boss from doing wrong, do not ask why or what and let the things go as the boss says. If I can adjust with this culture I can think of continuation else there is no point in continuation."
All professional relationships, and hence performance, is akin to a trapeze artist on a tight-rope.The slightest mis-step/slip and you know the consequences.
Role performance integrity, is not a question of 'yes boss' as you put it. You, or any employee (whom I label as associates) must contribute his/her best - which may at times go beyond the defined roles / responsibilities. Anyone (including the boss) may take due credit for that, but you remain the author. It will sooner or later count.
Our corporate culture must be that of , relationships apart, meritocracy.
Don't take such 'inappropriate gestures' to heart.
Cheer up
Arif ur Rehman

From Pakistan, Karachi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.