somnath.aaryan

i am working with one good school in kolkata as a hr manager, just wanting to have a fair opinion from all of you friends. Matter is that our school headmistress is a retired person and got extension for two years and her total leave is 14 days in a year. Since there was a demise in her family, she was absent for 18 days in a stretch. Point is that can we make her without pay of those days or can make salary for these period also.
From India, Kolkata
Mahr

Hi Somnath, Do you follow exceptions in your corporate policy? Or are you afraid to deduct salary from her salary? Please always follow blanket policy to avoid discrepancies.
From India, Bangalore
monica_p

I completely agree with Mahesh. Rules are the rules. It will be injustice to other staff if you’ll make such exception.
From India, Pune
tsrajakumar
It is better always to follow rules of the school. Since she is the Headmistress, the action as per Rules of the School should be appreciated. regards CA Padmanabhan
From India, Coimbatore
teamgrouphr

Dear Somnath,
Greetings!!!
There must be rules in your leave policy for handling exigencies such as death, marriage etc. In case , you do not have such rules , you can adjust her 14 days of leave against 18 days of absence ( Purely at the discretion of management ) and deduct 4 days of salary. If she takes any other leave in the remaining months, you can deduct her salary because she would exhausted all her quota of leave, in this case. This will give her a temporary cushion, and , you must have a policy to deal with such exigencies.

From India, Delhi
kknair

Dear all, Looking to such exigencies, you can give advance credit of leave and later adjust the four days leave from the next quantum of leave entitled. But if such a decision is made, then it should be made policy and made applicable to all. KK
From India, Bhopal
tsk.raman

Somanth Aaryan,

I am a firm believer that company's policy should be Management By Objectives and not Management By Exception, if I want to keep the wheels of the train moving. While saying so, I do have empathy, sympathy etc., for those with whom we are engaged with us. The relationship akin to the "Lotus leaf and droplets of water on it. Visibly together, but in reality individual - not connected. Connected - disconnected - Connected.

On the other side, being one with high self-esteem, I would want not favors from anyone while working.

I believe the company engages me for a certain skill, to play a certain role and we get remunerated for that. From both side we should honor the spirit of the engagement in thought, word and deed, that's it. That your job may demand more or you stretch yourself to go that extra mile is yours. Do it if you want to without expecting any gains or returns, enjoy the journey. Being this way I guess you will earn the respect of your employers, colleagues and everyone around you.

So in conclusion I should say that if I were in the place of the Principal (person) you've referred to, I will reject being paid for the days I didn't work. If they sympathize with me during the moment of a personal loss due to a demise, it'll be nice, else also, it doesn't matter.

Regards

From India, Hyderabad
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.