Rajat Joshi

Namaskar Mahantaji,
Thanks for adding thoughtful verses from the Vedas which we all have lost touch with or rather most of us may not be aware of..
We are grateful to you for enlightening us ...and correlating them to present burning issues.
Warm Regards,
Rajat
Karuna,
Thanks once again for sharing the experience with us...
Would like to ask all of you ..how many of us have actually done this ?..i mean if this is so important then why we haven't done so yet...
Regards,
Rajat

From India, Pune
Dr. Jogeshwar mahanta

Dear Rajatji,

Namaskar.

Your appreciation is most welcome.

In certain other thread we had met and had taken eastern and western view. I had given the illustration of Chchatrapat Shivaji. I was expecting that the discussion would continue. but somehow it did not happen. However, I am putting my reflection as under.

Till 8th century AD india had golden period, prosperous and happy. However, basically indian ethos had been non-imperialist and feud mongering. This created the ground for foreign intrusion and for 1200 years we have been suffering from the intrusion of foreign ethos.

When we achieved political independence in 1947 even the wise foreigners thought that we would diintegrate and die of hunger. But this did not happen. we not only survived but also recovered to a great extent and at least in 21st century they are calulating that India will be No.1 or 2 or 3 economic forece in the world and they have started pampwering us.

So Indian nativism is raising its hood. In this context, I like to invite your kind attention to Shree Madbhagavat Geeta. When i first read it I was just in class 6. it was a spiritual document for me since then. But recently I discovered that it is a book of management. Lord Krishna was a great management expert. I doubt, if any taller management expert than lord Krishna is born so far in this world. May I request you to read Geeta from the perspective of management?

regards

From India, Delhi
bala1

Dear Dr,
Read your post on Bhagavad Geeta and Management.
I tend to agree with your point that lots and lots of people (including Indians) used to proclaim that India would disintegrate in no time. I myself have heard (when i was a child in the 1960's) arguments between my Father and Grandfather whether it will China which will conquer India or America. Despite all the negativity, infighting, feudalism, self serving politicians etc we are expected to become one of the largest economies in another 20 years. yes, this country will go places.
Thanks
Bala
W for watch your words
A for watch your actions
T for watch your thoughts
C for watch your character
H for watch your heart

From India, Madras
Dr. Jogeshwar mahanta

[]Dear Noel,
Thank you for your query. But sorry. I myself have not gone through vedas. The two references which I had made and Mr Joshi thinks that those were from Vedas is not correct. Valmiki was born much after the period of Vedas. Ashoka-It is a matter of history.
despite that what you have stated about Vedas is correct.
Again lord Krishna says to Arrjun in Geeta- traiguna vishaya veda nishtraiguna bhabarjuna which means " Oh Arjun! Vedas are embedded in three gunas(satwa, rajas and tamas). You transcend all the three gunas.
regards

From India, Delhi
bala1

Dear Drji,

Here is something which is known to everybody, but thought it to put up here to remind ourselves.

Quote:

Lord Krishna is to be born in our bosom as we wait for His birth in the ruthless prison house, shackled with heavy chains of iron at midnight, when it is completely dark and there are only tiny stars twinkling in the Sky. It was a stormy night in Mathura. The Devas played the divine Music, the Gandharvas & Apsaras sang & danced with anticipation & joy.

The high sage Narada, a roving seer of extraordinary insight into times Past, Present, and Future, had prophesied that Devaki's eighth son would kill Kansa. Kansa, therefore, im-prisoned Vasudeva and Devaki, Vasudev's wife Devaki was a cousin sister of Kansa, the most dreaded king of Mathura.

Lord Krishna's parents. Vasudeva & Devaki sat in isolation with heavy chains on their hands & feet. When the Lord of the Universe was stepping down to the mortal world in the tiny cell, the Lord of Light lit up by an unearthly radiance in which Vasudeva & Devaki saw the Divine Lord Vishnu Himself.

The Divine Lord smiled and blessed the couple and said, ' The time has come for me to manifest Myself to destroy evil. I will be born to you. Vasudeva, then take me to Gokula to your friend's Nanda's house and bring back a daughter born to Yasoda & replace me there.'

The Divine Form of Lord Vishnu came suddenly. He also vanished. When Devaki turned her side and saw a beautiful baby boy smiling at her lying next to her. His complexion was dark. She hugged and kissed Him and parted with the Divine child by offering Him to Vasudva to carry out the instructions of the Lord.

He was born ! He being a Commander of the Universe, His Will was executed by snapping the chains & opening the doors of the prison & all the duty guards went into slumber, snoring like Kumbhakarnan, as if, they had not slept for months. It became then walk for Sri Vasudeva to walk away & to show the World the various fancies of His life style.

Vasudeva was walked the deserted streets of Mathura. When he reached the banks of the Yumuna, the water was roaring to receive the Lord of Universe & it started raining very heavily, but Vasudeva was debating as how to cross this swelling river which was ready to greet the Lord. Time was running away & Vasudeva had to come back and it was a situation of do or die. No sooner Vasudeva entered the waters up to his neck, the very touch of the feet of the Lord, the water receded & the thousand headed Adishesha, spread his hood & protected the Lord from the rain water. Vasudeva reached Gokula & brought back the baby girl with him as instructed by the Lord.

The guards woke up no sooner Vasudeva entered with the child, who started crying. The news reached Kamsa, who came running to destroy the eighth child of Devaki, who was destined to kill him. Devaki pleaded with Kamsa, his brother to save the little girl from being killed. Kamsa ignored the pleas and picked up the child, but the child slipped away from his hands & rose up in the air,where she manifested as no other than Devi Mahalakshmi & warned Kamsa, " Oh fool, your enemy has already been born & He will come and destroy you at the appropriate time. You thought that by these acts you will be in a position to avert the Will of the Lord but your ego will bring your downfall". She disappeared.

No sooner, Yasoda got up from sleep she saw a beautiful Infant was gazing at her with a heavenly smile and an aroma of Divinity emitting from His face. The news spreaded very fast and soon there was a gathering of people to see the Divine Child.

The Brahmins chanted the Vedic hymns and invoked the blessings of gods and goddesses.. Nanda gave away in charity cattle, money & hosted a big feast in honor of Lord Krishna. Thus the Lord was born & that day is now known as 'JANAMASHTAMI', a wonderful day which we celebrate every year & this year it is on the 11th August,2001. When the Lord is arriving, people do not eat. Fasting is Upavasana i.e. to live, to attune self & to be in meditation which quieten their mind to bring them nearer to the Lord.

Kansa found out where Krishna was and sent many demons to kill him, but Krishna overcame them all. He grew up among the cowherd boys and girls, his loves and dalliances with the latter being the subject of a vast literature in later years. Among the cowherd maiden, Radha was no doubt his favourite.

The Vishnupuran describes Kaliya as a snake with many heads living in a pool of water near Vrindaban. As he had poisoned the pool with his potent venom and killed many of Krishna's friends, the cowherds and their flocks, he rushed to their aid, revived them and danced on one of the snake's many heads. When Kaliya's friends and relatives begged for Krishna's mercy, the snake was spared to become one of Krishna's votaries.

The same Purana relates the story of Krishna asking the cowherds to start the worship of the Govardhana, a low hill in the Mathura district, and stop adoring Indra (Indra-yagna). This had en-raged Indra who bade the clouds rain incessantly on the area. Krishna then held up the Govardhana on his little finger and gave shelter to the cowherds and their cattle under the hill. Indra pride was humbled

Blissful Flute.

Perhaps the most popular of these stories are about his skill as a flute-player. This adds considerably to the pastoral character of many of Krishna stories. . . . On hearing the music of Krishna's flute, peacocks dance and other animals stand still and worship him with their glances. . . ."

The Blue Boy of the Jamuna banks, ever clothed in yellow garbs & singing away upon the flute, making every one crazy in delight & joy. He is never without a flute, whether He is at Home with His mother, or on the grazing grounds with His herd of cows or amongst the Gopis or Gopas or roaming alone every where. He is with the Flute by day & night & He sleeps with the Flute.

How lucky and fortunate is the Flute with seven holes, apart from the main opening at the end, which emits the euphony of Love and make every one engrossed in His melodious sounds & makes the Universe in forget their day to day problems & get so engrossed, as if to become part and parcel of the Flute.

As the flute has eight holes, similarly, we have eight holes in our system, the five organs of perception, & mind, intellect & ego. The Lord fills us with His breath, the Divine Life and plays upon these spots or holes to bring about the melody He wants, but we with our stupid ego, try to sing our own song and thus bring wrong notes and create a chaos in the World.

If we can allow an uninterrupted and faithful flow of His will, He shall ever keep us in His hands and never leave us even for a moment. Even when we sing our senseless songs of lust & passion, likes & dislikes, hatred & jealousy, this, He never disowns us but guides every one to lead a righteous life, but we have to be honest with ourself by remembering Him & developing Faith & Perseverances in Him.

Hence let us realize what is good for us & to whom should we be faithful, because we had promised the Lord that we will do such and such things when we will come to this world, but many of us have not kept our promise & are unfaithful & then what is the recourse available to Him. One has reap what one has sowed. On realization, one can retrace the way of Life.

Think , if any one is unfaithful to you, what action will you take against that person. Similarly, if you are unfaithful to the Lord, He is within His right to take action against you or abandon you. But He is so much merciful.

Despite the crimes committed by us or when we are sick or in trouble, but when we remember Him, He is always at our beck & call. He never abandons any one as we all are His part and parcel & He and all of us are inseparable. Let us pray to the Lord to take us to Brindrvan & Gokul to sing away upon His flute, sending every one of us crazy in rapturous delight & joy in a maddening picture of His endless Bliss.

Why Radha was dear to Lord Krishna.

Once Lord Krishna was ill, His pure tender body was inflamed with high fever & no drug or medicine had any effect & the fever was unabating. Mother Yasoda was very much worried & enquired from Lord Krishna what could cure Him. Thereupon Lord Krishna replied that the dust of the feet of any one of his beloved would get Him well. Mother Yasoda went from door to door asking all gopis and gopas for this strange request. Every one refused though they are prepared to lay down their life for Lord Krishna who is so dear to them, but offering a dust of their feet would take them to Hell & they would not commit this act of indecency.

At last, Mother Yasoda went to Radha and told her the purpose of the visit. Radha replied that it was so simple she belong to Shyama and whatever she has, belongs to Him & She would be indeed fortunate and lucky to render any services & she is prepared to face all the tortures and go to Hell for this act of hers. Mother Yasoda became speechless & gazed at Radha's face. Yasoda picked up a little dust and returned to her house & to her utter surprise Krishna was not in the bed but was up and eating & relishing milk and butter. Yasoda then realized the Maya of Lord Krishna.

This proves the point why Radha was so dear to Lord Krishna. The Law of Love is the law of sacrifice. If you would love, be prepared to sacrifice all you have for your beloved ones at the altar of your Lord.

In the Divine Song, the priceless scripture, Lord Krishna places emphasis on the Nishkama Karma (action without desire) & without any worry about the fruits or results of the actions. An interesting analogy could be drawn, depending upon each ones own imagination that the Upanishads is a Cow, the Bhagawad Gita is Eternal Milk, Lord Krishna is a cowherd & Arjuna is a calf. The essence of the Upanishads is milked by Lord Krishna & the Bhagawad Gita, the Eternal Milk is fed to Arjuna.

Life In Nutshell.

The Lord Krishna's life was a tragedy from birth to death. To begin with, He was born in a jail for no fault of His. His parents were imprisoned because He was to be born. From His birth, he was persecuted by tyrants. He left Gokul, never returned again. From Mathura He went to Dwarka to build His kingdom with empty hands. He came & befriended the Pandavas in their troubles & shared their sorrow where they were exiled for 14 years. When the war was won, He took permission of the Pandavas to go home & when He reached Dwarka, His people had destroyed themselves in a civil war. Lord Krishna went in to the jungle & while sleeping under a tree He was shot in the foot by an arrow and killed by a hunter.

Despite these problems and troubles, Lord Krishna was streaming, joyous, and bubbling with excitement with hope and expectation. Never did He complain. He remained in the world like a Lotus leaf. His life was a leela + all along He demonstrated

It is said that He had 16000 wives. A man with one wife is sorrowful, but with so called 16000 wives, He managed them effectively and none had any grievance against Him. Even though He lived in the midst of sorrow. He rose above the joys & sorrows of life. It is an example of an ideal man how each of us can change our attitude in life.....how we should live & perform.

Krishna's life style is a Mysterious Glory that has kept up the culture of our nation for thousands of years. Even today, the Divine Song of Life- Shrimad Bhagwad Gita, although written or narrated over 6000 years ago, is still applicable to the present situation, provided it is interpreted in the right manner to the level of the common man.

As everybody know,

Lord Vishnu has taken many incarnations on the earth to re-establish Dharma or righteous justice, starting from the Matsya (fish), Kurma (tortoise),Varaha (boar), Narasimha (half man & half lion), Vamana (the dwarf) Parasurama( the angry sage), Rama (the perfect man), Krishna (the divine statesman) & the Buddha (the compassionate man).

Unquote

Thanks

Bala

From India, Madras
Dr. Jogeshwar mahanta

Thank you Bala for presenting the life of leela Purusottam so lucidly. Reading it takes me all through his leela bhumi.

Those who think that he is irrelevant for modern era may like the information that Alfred Ford, the owner of Ford Motor company is a great devotee of Lord Krishna and grat patron of ISKON.

Lord Krishna had 16108+1(?) wives. The question mark 1 is Radha. Radha happened to be the daughter of Brishabhanu and wife of Chandrasena. But in Brahmabaibarta Puran, I think, there is mention of marriage between Radha and Krishna, solemnised by Brahma himself.

regards

From India, Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.