saiconsult

Gurmeet

This is a tough question for any one to answer on the spur of the moment in an interview.There are seniors of one kind as (Cite Contribution) referred to who by virtue of their experience and knowledge became assets yet are humble and dignified and i do not think there will be any problem in dealing with them. There is another kind of seniors which tajsateesh referred to, they are also assets but sometimes inebbreiated by the ego of indispensibility, they may be arrogant. It is this class of seniors who are tough to handle. There is the third kind who are hollow in terms of knowledge or skills, yet dispaly brash behaviour.It is still tougher to manage them as you know from inside that they hardly deserve any respect.The solution to this nagging problem lies in being aware of certain facts.

Though knowledge commands respect, in an organisation, heirarchy commands respect along with knowledge. If the arrogant senior is occupying a higher level in the heirarchy, you cannot afford to show disrespect for him.You need to be tactful in your one to one meetings with them.Do not argue or debate with them on the issues.Do not also say " iam in agreement with you on this matter" since he may feel that he does not need your concurrence.You can say " Sir,you have come out with splendid suggestion. Along with it, can I also incorporate this point(Which you want to suggest) to lay further emphasis on your suggestion".

In nutshell,

1)you need to be respectful,

2)tactful in communicating with them and

3)restraintful by not speaking bad about them

4)keeping them in loop while taking decisions

One can give only general guidelines but you need to adapt them tosuit your situation.

B.Saikumar

HR & labour Law Advisor

Mumbai

From India, Mumbai
AKJ_NZ
Hi,
I don't understand why senior people nedds different tratment or handled differently, they are also an employee working for company ofcourse rich in expereince and that is the reason they have been hired to contribute to company's growth. I don't think senior pepole expect different treatment if they they are not a team player.
REgards
Amit

From New Zealand, Auckland
Robin_Thomas

Yes, Amit. That was precisely what I meant in my earlier statement. From the HR perspective we need to be fair to all and no one is to be treated differently. Robin
From India, Kochi
bijay_majumdar

Hi,

Participating in this interesting debate,I feel that hr professionals are the people who are expected to gear up managment of human resource in such way that each employee of the organisation is so placed and managed that he becomes the most useful entity of the organisation, to be more specific "assest to the organisation"

Higher management staff is expected to contribute towards the same as a hr policy.or may be they are so called seniors/experieced.An Hr Professional therefore is the person who should have the clear and transparent idea of his own job responsibility and ofcourse the authority attached to it.

Over and above,it is always to be kept in mind by the hr person that understanding human behavour in diversified situations is the very crucial aspect of this profession.So concluding the fact that there is nothing called senior/junior/experienced/non experienced etc in an organisation but the team and team development,share and care,give and recieve,be respectful and give respect.

Thanks,

BIJAY

From India, Vadodara
saiconsult

An ideal situation is one thing and realty is different. An ideal situation envisages this society to be full of ideal men who are free from ego, self -glorifications, pride and prejudice and craving for status and recognition.However, the real situation that confronts one is different from the ideal since the tendency of human nature is self centric. Many are privy to games people paly in corporate life and to himalayan egos of some seniors. Probabaly it in this context, Gurmeet was asked the question as to how to manage seniors and it needs to be answered in the context in which it was asked but not from the context of an ideal situation.In an ideal situation, the question of managing does not arise since environment is pristine pure.
B.Saikumar
HR & Labour Law advisor
Mumbai

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.