M.Peer Mohamed Sardhar

AMITABH BACHCHAN PHILOSOPHY AND RIGOROUS THINKING

I have always wondered at how and why many people simply place before you high sounding concepts that seem to explain much that is inexplicable at least to me. The person sitting opposite me expounds magnificent concepts and theories and indeed entire schools of thought. I come out of the meeting amazed at the might of that man’s wisdom. Till one nagging question arises in my mind .What is the evidence to substantiate that man’s ‘magnificent’ theories?

One such Guru told me that all of the ailments that afflict human beings are due to our weak mind .Thus diabetes, cancer, diarrhea , TB , gynec problems—all ailments without exception are due to weak minds. He also added that even our lack of resistance to germs is entirely due to mental weaknesses. To my astonishment he even offered to protect me against all illnesses by giving me a medicine made entirely of herbs based on an ‘ancient’ medical text.

I asked for another meeting with this Guru where I posed the following questions:

n An NRI based in say Singapore comes on a visit to India. He drinks nimboo paani at a restaurant. The next day he suffers from loose motions. Is it correct to say that this man – who had no such issues while in Singapore – has suddenly developed a weak mind and was therefore vulnerable to being infected by germs?

n How many people has the guru met or heard of in the whole wide world who have developed their minds to such an extent that they have never fallen ill ?

n Why did the Guru’s own Guru die of a plethora of illnesses?

n Above all what is the evidence available to suggest if not prove the veracity of his claims and for the efficacy of his potions ?

At this point the guru appeared flummoxed, accustomed as he was to willing suspension of all reason and logic by his shishyaas . He muttered that his claims were ‘ true’ and not amenable to any scientific study and was indeed beyond science. I was about to lose my cool but thought it better to convey my feelings by resort to that ultimate weapon –Humour. I told him that what he asserted was not different from what politicians caught with their hands in the cookie jar say—‘ After the scam report report I have won an election hands down .I have won in the court of the people .Thus I cannot be held guilty of any fraud’. In other words simply by winning an election thIs neta suggests that he is beyond the law much like the Guru who by virtue of being a guru feels he is not amenable to any scientific laws.

Is there evidence that my line of rigorous thinking is being applied in other fields? Yes .The latest evidence of how research and evidence is being applied to concepts held almost as sacred is the several studies about Maslow’s hierarchy of Needs. Psychologist and management gurus have held that hierarchy of needs as unchallengable. But here comes a whole new look at this sacred line of thinking.

Psychologist Steven Reiss refers to Maslow as a ‘ nice guy but no scientist’. Reiss based his suggestions on research that suggest that

-Maslow’s categories are invalid

-Maslow’s sequence is invalid

- Maslow erred in suggesting a one size fits all theory .

Reiss feels that Maslow should be read as a philosopher not a scientist.

The last sentence is significant .Gurus of the sort I am talking about are either quacks, crooks or amiable well meaning philosophers who are not concerned with experiments , research, result replicability, impartial verification etc—they seek exemption from such irritating demands and assert that they are beyond science. Much like our crooked netas.

A very recent example of high sounding but meaningless philosophy is the dialogue in the film ‘ DEPARTMENT’. I saw this movie at a Mumbai multiplex . Sections of the audience including three men sitting near me broke into rapturous applause when the character played by Amitabh Bachchan thundered with the dialogue ‘Illegally legal’. One of them slapped my thigh and shouted ‘ kya dialogue maara. Amitabh ko Oscar milna chahiye’.After the movie I asked these guys what they understood by that piece of dialogue . A few minutes of blank stares later they looked sheepish and turned away from me.

Good philosophy but poor logic. Many people get away with this nonsense.

K.R.RAVI

From India, Coimbatore
Vaski
You will get the answers for all your questions if you have time to read Dr.Deepak Chopras books.
From India
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.