No Tags Found!

suchitra pattnaik

Dear Rajee,

Your problem is quite common to all HR in Small to middle level organisation . I am also the single HR in my company and join here 2 years back.what all problem you are facing were the same in my case .

But i tried my level best to turn around the thinking of old employess and even management level by understanding their way of working first,then with their requirement .

Recruitment can be he best way where you can satisfy them .

When there were very urgent requirement inspite of following old procdeure of try to put new adeas to get the right candidates,when the best resource you provide,they are surely going to get back there trust on you.

Where the separate cabin is concerned I even have not provided with the same but I uses conference hall or I request any manager for few hours to use there cabin and never I felt probelm while using other cabin or the meeting hall it all depend on you how you mingle with people.

We have more then 5 to 6 Branch offices with all 250 employees ,the best part of it my employes are more open to me not to the management ,not because they are scared with management but because I am very friendly with them .

About the implementation of policy is concerned the same problem I was even facing ,slowly I started giving my ideas where policy was both good for management and even for employees,so now hardly we have any thing problem while implementing .

Finally I would like to say problem is common in every where but we have to over come the same with our effort .

Always try to "Hit the iron when its too heat ",then only you can give a shape to it.

Suchi...........

From India, Kochi
neetakamble

Hi Rajee,
I can completely understand your situation as even i hav been thru it. But u need to understand that u hav to portray urself as a very strong person. At times, use little aggression.
In my company, there was a trend where the MD and Head Projects where the hole and soul of the company. All the HR activities were handled by them, right frm recruitment to exit of an employee. But i had to explain them that it cannot work that way anymore coz, now they hav hired a person to take care of those activities. And that i would not tolerate any unnecessary interference into MY JOB PROFILE.
I suggest you raise questions like Wats my Job Description?
Wat are my authorities? If they hav people to do HR job (like recruitment etc) then wat hav they hired u for????????? Demand an answer from them.
Make them realise that they are being obstacles in your career growth and hampering your learning graph.
The way you approach them is totally upto you.
All the best.
Neeta.

From India, Mumbai
seeemraj
Hi Rajee,

Your first problem is that your uncle is the Chairman of the Co. Look at it in a different angle. As far as he is concerned he is out of the country and the management in the Co was delivering him results. You joined and wanted to make some changes. If you were in his position, will you accept it. Let me tell you, you have to hard sell your ideas to him. You tend to believe that as he is your uncle, he will have to do what you believe to be the best for his company. No, He will do what he believes to be the best. Have you not seen that many a times, in Sales, it is your friends and relatives who will not budge to your ideas. This is only because you have taken them for granted that they would accept your ideas immediately. So, Rajee, no short cut, you will have to convince your Chairman by solid facts, and not your uncle.

Secondly, what is the top management of your company, now think about you. They were in a paradise of their own, manning the company as if it was their own. Now that you, the niece of the Chairman has come to the group. FOR WHAT ? To report to your uncle behind their back (That is what they would think). They would try to harass you professionally (the most unprofessional act). They would not include you in any of the decisions that they take. They would encroach into your area of work. The only reason is they want you OUT, as you are 'pain' for them. This is the time you should not loose you heart and get out. Here again you should use your salesmanship. Win them over with your attitude, being helpful, supportive, motivate employees, and make them feel that you are one among them. Once they accept you, you will get cabin, your views would be implemented and you will be happy working for the Company. Then, it would be very easy for you and your uncle to implement the professionalism that you are looking for.

Win them by heart.

C'mon, you can do it. Wish you the very best.

warm regards

cm raj

harshadak
Hi Rajee,
I am completely agreed with John.
I believe that one has to prove your abilities wheerever it needs dont loose the opportunity try your best.
I am also fighting for the same but my managemnt has different fundas like they dont believe in staffing Professional Staff, they dont want to retain employees, they believes that anyone can do the job.... but... ..... not with the prfection and commitment .
can someone suggest me the way out.... please

From India, Pune
shahanal12

Hello Rajee,
I think what raj has described is really true.
We have so many cases like this in our organisation as we have a recruitment policy based on reffrals.
I have suggested the same things to some of my colleagues who were facing the same problems.
If you want work as a niece of a chairman you are out for the others but if you work as Rajee an HR person and build some identity on your own then you are definitely in thing for the others.
Regards,
Shah Anal

From India, Ahmadabad
vinu415
Dear Rajee,
Yours is a problem faced by many professionals and the solution is to gain a certain amount of acceptability amongst those who choose to ignore you. You have to gain their confidence, little by little, by doing things which draw their appreciation. You will see that once you gain acceptance, you would have your way in the organisation.
I agree that it is a painful process, but it is better than taking a defiant/ antagonistic stand.
Regards,
Vasudev

From India, Madras
san1_thomas
Hello Rajee,
HR is indeed of no importance at your uncles organisation. Why the management need a HR department, when all the decisions, recruitment and all other practices are to be followed from the Other departments.
You are in wrong place, changing this way of work is very difficult, when the HR in itself, is not heard properly by the upper management.
Changing this attitude of upper management is very difficult from the HR Level. Try it, if didn't succeed..... swim with the waves.
Thomas

swaks
hope u wont mind but as dar as i think in the situation is eithor switch to the new employer else let whatever is baan happenning and enjoy as everybody else is doing........jokes apart...... waise the i think u should go for the first option
regards

From India, New Delhi
rajee

thanks one & all,
I really appreciate everyone's comment, and i thank all for spending their valuable time.
I think i want to tell, that from day one, i never felt as my uncle's niece. If i felt i that, i would never feel as HR, or would feel the pain, because i am getting the money.
but for me my career is most imp. i only have 1.5 yrs of experience and still a lot and lot to learn. i too have great potential in me.
But i think i should start experimenting, and i have stared, and keeping aside whether the company will accept it or not. But it will add to my experience.
second thing i will clearly tell the mgt, not to include me for other miscellaneous things like inventory or purchase. let me see the.
the technical head is spreading an information, that i was taken for purchase & inventory.
needs comments from everyone
Rajee

From United States, Englewood
koulny
Dear Rajee,

There is no need to get demoralised. We all face challenges in one or the other way. What is important is that we understand where the problem lies.... as they say "a problem well understood is half solved".

Working for a relative has its own advantages and disadvantage. And the company you work for seems to have had no HR before you joined them. If the employees of this company were used to working in a particular style, they will resist any change. You have to work carefully and tackle the issues one by one. You have to give them the confidence that you are there to make the overall working of the company smooth. In simple words, you need to win them over. Once you are accepted, things will start falling into place.

Please give priority to the issues which are of concern to you..... you can start with the easier and less sensitive issue and slowly go ahead. Apply "change management" techniques and make use of your inter-personal skills.

When I joined my present employer, within my first week here, I had decided to quit. I had worked with an MNC for many years and a typical proprietery company was giving me cultural shock. But I decided to stay back and accept the challenge and believe you me, in 7 months, I have been able to achieve a lot.

You just need the confidence and a positive attitude. Fix up a time frame and start working from today itself. I am sure you will be successful. And, for any reason, if things still don't change in the company, then they don't need any HR..... look for another job. You would still be a gainer .... after all there is lot of learning in the whole process.

So, my dear, get into action. All the best!!!!!!

Rgds,

Nymphia

Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.