HrHrddl
Dear Seniors, I am looking for expert advice.

I recently joined an organisation as HR manager. After joining, I learned that some unethical practices and gross violations of laws are going on in the organisation. The owners are aware of it.

what to do in this situation,
01. Should i oppose the same
02. Quit the job immediately
03. Search for another job.
04. Do nothing

nanu1953

This is very common with some Organizations in India. Better you search for another organization as quickly as possible.

Continue with the organization will unnecessarily creates your mental agony.

S K Bandyopadhyay ( WB, Howrah)
CEO- USD HR Solutions

From India, New Delhi
Dinesh Divekar

Dear member,

Unethical business practices, violations of the law, and exploitation of labour happen in many companies. When the organisation's values and personal values clash, it causes stress. I empathise with you. In your post, you have created four options and have sought advice on the right choice. However, the opinions may differ from one person to another. This is because there could be a mismatch between the values of the members of this forum and yours. What if the members give different types of advice? it will confuse you further.

I would like to give my recommendation for each option. These are as follows:

01. Should I oppose the same: - Opposing the actions or decisions of the employer is fraught with risk, as resistance from a newly joined employee will not be taken lightly. The employer could terminate you for teaching them wisdom.

02. Quit the job immediately: - This option is also fraught with risk. Quitting a job without having a replacement at hand would be too imprudent. While the decision may give you solace for not being a party to the misdemeanours of the employer, it will impose a heavy cost on you. Second, your status will be unemployed and will erode your market value. Your joblessness will help the future employer to dictate their terms.

03. Search for another job: - This option is better than the option (02) above. However, in this case, also, how will you explain the reasons for the short stay? Will the future employer accept the argument? Employers expect the employees to adapt to their organisation's culture. What if the future employer perceives you as a stubborn person? Furthermore, your short stay could haunt you in all future job searches.

04 Do nothing: - Yes, this option can be exercised at least for 1-2 years. Just pass the time. Notwithstanding the mismatch in values, you can add value. You can cultivate your image as a talented, knowledgeable, and meticulous person. You can show such dedication that the employer should consider you as a unique person, and getting your replacement should be next to impossible. This will help you gain the trust of your employer. Old habits die hard, and even after earning trust, the employer may not mend their ways. But at least the employer will not be dismissive of you.

Personal feedback: - It is good to note that you have approached this forum to seek advice. Sometimes, the situation puts us on the horns of a dilemma, and we get confused. Your worry about the infringement of values is commendable. But then I recommend demonstrating one more value: introspection. Your post does not match the stature of an HR Manager. There are grammatical mistakes, and spell-check was also given a short shrift. I wish you had invested time in improving your business writing skills. More than being concerned about the employer's values, show concern for your career. If you do not take corrective action to eradicate this weakness, it could hold back your future growth. Whether to live with a shortcoming of poor English or systematically remove it is a decision you need to make expeditiously!

All the best!

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
KK!HR

Apart from the suggestions you listed, I would suggest you to adopt a transformative approach. Now that you are aware of the wrong things and their probable consequences, you may adopt an approach of trying to correct them in a step-by-step manner, starting with the relatively easier ones to convince the top management. In most cases, the management feels that they will never get caught, but you need to make them aware that the day they are getting caught is fast approaching. Alternatively, if there is a possibility of heart-to-heart talk you can unbundle all these issues and work out a short-term strategy to achieve full compliance and ethics. At any rate as already opined by senior member, it is not advisable to leave the place so soon.
From India, Mumbai
raghunath_bv

Hi,
Dealing with unethical practices and violations of laws within an organization can be challenging but it's crucial to address them appropriately. Here's how you could approach this situation:

Assess the Situation: Before taking any action, thoroughly assess the extent of the unethical practices and violations. Understand the implications, who is involved, and the potential consequences.

Understand the Company Culture: Evaluate the company culture to determine if this behavior is systemic or if it's isolated to a few individuals. This understanding will help you strategize your approach.

Consider Your Values: Reflect on your own values and principles. If these practices conflict with your ethical standards, you may feel compelled to take action.

Document Everything: Keep detailed records of any unethical behavior or violations you observe. This documentation will be essential if you decide to escalate the issue.

Engage in Dialogue: Try to address the issue internally first. Approach your superiors or the relevant department heads to discuss your concerns. Provide evidence and suggest solutions to rectify the situation.

Escalate if Necessary: If your initial attempts to address the issue internally are unsuccessful, consider escalating the matter to higher authorities within the organization or to external regulatory bodies.

Protect Yourself: While addressing unethical behavior, ensure you protect yourself from any potential retaliation. Document your actions and conversations, and consider seeking legal advice if necessary.

Evaluate Your Options: Depending on the response from the organization and your comfort level with the situation, you may need to consider your options, which could include resigning from your position or seeking alternative employment.

Ultimately, the decision to oppose the unethical practices, quit your job, or search for another job depends on your personal values, the severity of the situation, and your ability to effect change within the organization. It's essential to weigh your options carefully and take action that aligns with your principles.

Thanks

From India, Bangalore
pvenu1953@gmail.com

You have option of expressing your concerns within the hierarchy, esp. if your organisation happens to be in the public sector. However, such attempts call for much courage, conviction as well tact.
From India, Kochi
loginmiraclelogistics

It's inappropriate for me to recommend any option as such without knowing what is what happening in your organisation. If possible, can you mention what exactly happening there (without revealing the name of your organisation) so that it may be easy for us to consider how impactful all those unethical, unlawful activities.
From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.