mani-bhandari1

Dear all, Greetings to all HR professionals.

I have been following the references given here, I work as an Executive HR in a manufacturing plant having employee strength 1500(approx) Uttarakhand region we needed to update our Grievance policy.

Can someone please help me clear my doubts and provide basic outline so I can frame the policy keeping in consideration the legal implications of staff and workmen?

20 plus members we need to have a grievance mechanism mandatorily, we have an active work committee..can someone please help me with the scope of the policy and also what should be the general steps and whether it would be same for all employee level and weather plant policy and policy in corporate office could be the same.

Please help me out to frame the policy keeping in view all the necessary steps for a policy covering all. Please it would be helpful if you can share the policies of your organisation I want to study and know the differences amount them so I can frame the policy keeping in mind all the merits and demerits of the same. Mostly how to cover staff , workmen, and employees at other corporate offices.

Thank you so much.

Looking for your positive response.

From India, New Delhi
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Mani Bhandari,
If you have just 2o staff members in your company then no need to make the "Grievance Redressal Policy" as such. The objective of this policy is to create an atmosphere of fairness. The juniors often get dominated by the seniors and sometimes if the injustice happens to them then it has to be addressed immediately. The grievance policy comes handy in such a case. Grievance policy is one of the means of creating a culture of upward communication in the organisation.
However, 20 is a too small number of staff for the policy on the grievances. Not that policies are linked to the strength of the employees. However, if you create such a policy and educate the junior members on this policy, possibly it could boomerang on you as there could be cases of filing for grievance handling and you will waste more time in sorting out these issues.
When your employee strength crosses 100, you need to prepare the standing orders. The procedure of grievance handling will have to be enumerated in the standing orders as such. That will suffice the purpose. Therefore, even at that time also, on and above the standing orders there is no need to make a grievance handling policy.
Nevertheless, from the standpoint of management science, we need to create a culture of teamwork and collaboration. Rather than relying on the legal provisions, the employees should have cultural connect or emotional connect. Therefore, let your leadership encourage upward communication. The constant touch with the down most employees always helps. They should be felt that they are being valued and not belittled.
To foster the culture of teamwork and collaboration the basic requirement is to create a healthy interpersonal environment in the company. Let your leadership do that first. Train the staff on interpersonal skills. When managers forever take care of the motivation of their juniors, there will not be any need for the grievance handling policy.
Thanks,
Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore