dipil Started The Discussion:
As per ANSI Z49.1:2005 Oxygen Gas Cylinder in Storage Shall be kept with a safe distance of 6.1meters from combustable gas cylinders.
As per Gas Cylinder Rules 2004, Chapter 2, General Provisions, Section 21:Storage of cylinders: Cylinders containing flammable gases and toxic gases shall be kept separated from each other and from cylinders containing other types of gases by an adequate distance or by a suitable partition wall.
Gas Cylinder Rules 2004 is not specifying how much distance and both the above is related to storage of gas cylinders only.
No my question is:
1. What should be the safe distance between fuel & Oxygen while storage as per statues in India? Which is the latest applicable Act/Rule in India regarding the same?
2. What should be the safe distance while transporting fuel & Oxygen as per statues in India? Transporting in same trolley is safe or not?
3. What should be the safe distance between fuel & Oxygen while in use as per statues in India?
Request to put some lights into the topic. If you are not having updates of Indian Statues, please let me know the same as per any other legalization.
1.While storage 10 feet distance shall be practically maintained between fuel and Oxygen cylinders.
2. NEVER KEEP FUEL & OXYGEN IN THE SAME VEHICLE FOR TRANSPORTATION. So no question of safe distance arises. It is not safe to transfer fuel & Oxygen cylinders in the same trolley. Trolley designed for two cylinders shall be used to keep both the Oxygen & Fuel cylinders upright, held with chain while in use.
3. No specific distance is mentioned in statues while in use. Other precautionary measures like leaks around the valve stem, leaks from regulator, fuse plug,providing hoods over the cylinder to prevent fall of hot spatters etc.shall be ensured as better prevention.
Thanks for providing me the NFPA 55 standard... The table 2-1.5 is basically for Toxic Gases, if I understood rightly wheras in our case both LPG and Oxygen are not toxic... However this document also clearly mentioning about a distance of 6.1m...
Thanks for your inputs into the thread. I just want to know whether this 3meter distance is safe while storage where all the document is saying safe disatance to be maintained is 6.1m.. This you say in view of practicallity only na... Please have a look into the trolley in the attached file and give your suggestion... Whether this transportaion is safe... Somethime keepin both cylinder in this same trolley and using at site...
First of all warm welcome to the forum.. Hope we will get a lot to learn from yourside...
Now my purpose is that I have raise objection against the existing practices going on in our plant regading the storage of cylinders... Its not in main storage, but in site wise storage... So the management is not convinced by my inputs.. So thought of study more about it before giving further proposal... So requesting you to please go through the attachment and give your valuable comments...
@ All: Please go throught the attachment and give value addition to the thread please...
@Abhay: Thanks for your inputs...
Thanks in advance to all...
On 29-06-10 a news paper reported this case (clipping in my storage): In Bhayandar (East) in a welding unit in Kasturi Ind Estate Jagdish Sahani was rolling the cylinder by his leg when cylinder burst. His leg dismantled and was thrown 300 meter away. Police took 3 hrs to find the leg. His another leg was injured to an extent that it had to be amputated in the hospital. Have not seen follow up news on what happened next
Found This Useful? +Vote Up This Page Via Google.
Why Vote? User validation is extremely important for good content to prosper.
Disclaimer: This network and the advice provided in good faith by our members only facilitates as a direction towards the actions necessary. The advice should be validated by proper consultation with a certified professional. The network or the members providing advice cannot be held liable for any consequences, under any circumstances.
Explore Topical Knowledge Areas
Interesting Relevant Discussions