No Tags Found!

tongay

Its my first time to enter this kind of job and i would really appreciate your help... i am working in a hotel and i am curious about the responsibilities of an HR in a Hotel? can you help me pls.... :roll:
From Philippines, Sorsogon
arunskaimal
In the hotel there are two major issues :
1)retention of people as many of the front office staff move to new jobs like BPO,Cruise liners, etc
2)Training :Since hotel business is driven by people and the way they interact with other people (guets ) ,training people (Employees ) is crucial....
In the hotel HR u are sure to get FOOD for the Tummy and Also nourishment to your thought

tongay

thanks arunskaimal... do you work in the hotel industry as well? yeah i found out that my weight is increasing quite rapidly... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
arunskaimal
I am Studying at TISS in Mumbai... had some understanding of the hotel industry.. one other thing is the legal compliance.. in the service sector Overtime of workers is a critical issue... contract labour is another area of concern.

promila

As u are into service industry,HR role is very vital there, as services are tangible and cant be measured.So its important to train people right from top to bottom line, as we all know that now costumer is no more king but God. Because what ever system u are following is reflected just in front of costumer, so very care full.as i am from automobile sector, so every thing is at back office.We are into production as hotel, airlines, etc are all service industry.
From India, Delhi
managehr

In a hotel a higher percentage of staff face the customer for something or the other. Your workforce changes rapidly and thus the stress on proper grooming, training and customer facing skills. Feedback from customers on service and customer facing staff forms an essential criteria in performance Management.
Motivation and staff friendly policies need to devised to keep your staff on top of their jobs. As the hotel industry is always not perenially busy, compensation management requires you to be very creative.

From India, Bangalore
soul.driver

I have worked as HR Manager with Holiday Inn and Taj Group of Hotels and responsibilities are manyfold. In nutshell, following are the main responsibilities of Hotel HR;

1. Recruitment and Training

2. Performance Management

3. Statutory Complainces (there are lot of them - PF, ESI, Labour Department, Employment exchange, contract labour, trade union act etc)

4. Bargaining with Trade Union (if there is any)

5. Employee engagement (town hall meetings, sports and games, employee suggestion schemes etc)

6. Managing the egos of HOD's responsible for different departments like Housekeeping, FO, F&B etc as all think of themselves as indispensible (its not a part of the job but it actually happens)

And TISS is Tata Institute of Social Sciences which is one of the top institutes imparting courses on HR.

From India, Hyderabad
tongay

yes. about those arrogant managers. what can i do to make them listen? i mean im only 20 and they are probably old enough to be my grandfather so i am having a hard time in making them feel my presence. they can be really rude at times...
Paladin

In my opinion, you need to set your personal feelings aside and begin to build credibility with those "arrogant" managers. Start small, look for and solve little problems, make small suggestions that will enhance their positions, not yours - remember you are there to serve them and as they begin to feel more confident about your abilities they will begin to rely on and trust you more.

In the meantime, develop a Plan of Action, what you believe should be changed - “critical success factors” for the organization and the managers - as well as underlying strategies as to how they can be accomplished. In the future when asked for opinions or proposals you will be prepared and have them ready. You will impress the managers with your foresight as well as insight.

Remember Newton’s Law : A body in motion will continue in a straight line unless influenced by an outside force.” These “arrogant” managers “old enough to be my grandfather” have been doing their jobs, apparently successfully, backed by past experience, for many years. They have been successful and therefore are reluctant to change. They are annoyed, and at times intolerant of the “newbie” who doesn’t understand the business, but who wants to make his/her presence felt.

You must be the “outside force” to overcome their belief that they have seen and done it all. To do that, find the time to get to know them; to listen to their philosophy of business, of their personal values; question them on their positions on various issues - old and new; learn from their experience, then add you own knowledge and experience. As you gain experience and insight into the workings of the industry and the HR profession, you'll be in a better position to challenge and debate the merits of proposed positive changes to the current policies and practices.

Then and only then will you be able to convince them that “good enough is not good enough anymore”.

From United States,
priyankagambhir

I'm working in a Five Star hotel, the work of HR in Hotel industry includes Manpower planning Recruitment & Selection of the employees, their Joining & Exit formalities, Prepration of various letter (Appointment, offer memo's ect etc), employee welfare (celebration of festivals, Birth day's farewell etc), Salary prepration, Statutory compliances (PF & ESI challans & returns), Training & Development of employees (Behaviourial aspects), looking after staff cafeteria, hotel Staff Vehicle & Driver, prepration of reports (HRMIS, leave balance report, Manpower Report, Attrition report, Gate pass report).
From India, Panipat
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.