harlina
Dear All,
Allow me to ask this question. I have a colleague who has sent his resignation notice and has informed me personally of his reasons to leave the firm. I personally believe that his reason-no work satisfaction can be addressed by the management. Since I'm not in HR, can I approach the management and let them know this guy problems so that in the end, his resignation can be avoided. He has been a good employee so far. It will be a great loss to the firm if he leaves.
Thank you. Appreciate your early comments

From Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur
nohorsebar

Harlina, I would suggest instead of approaching the management, it is advisable to forward the reason to any junior HR Member. Let it go through a proper channel. Mirza
From Kuwait, Kuwait
Joseph J

i agree.
always follow the process
and the process cannot exclude your ability to help the organisation.
Regardless of your function, there will, there must be a process for you to express your concerns/ideas/suggestions/knowledge.
if there isn't your communication will atleast help your company not lose your colleague and put into place a process to facilitate comments such as yours
Go for it!!
regards
Joseph

From India, Kochi
les2allan

I admire your concern for your fellow worker. Before you go off talking to anyone, do you have your colleague’s permission to raise his issues with management? Did he speak you in the understanding that what he said was in confidence, or did he expressly give you permission to talk to others? There is no quicker way to break a person’s trust and lose their friendship than by breaking confidentiality.

Les Allan
Author: Managing Change in the Workplace
www.businessperform.com

From Australia, Glen Waverley
pradeepboiri

Harlina,

Nice to see that, you are planning to help your employer as well as your friend for their well being. As such it's a simple concern to approach, however any mistakes in handling can lead to conflicts. Following are my inputs, if you find any of them good you may please follow.

Please note: You got to be very clear in your mind that, your friend is a high potential for the orgnaization as well as he is interested in continuing if his/her few concerns are fixed. If you have any doubt, then pl. don't touch the sensitive issue.

As your friend already sent resignation mail, it indicates that he/she would have thought well and tried for the concerns to be fixed prior to make such a big decission. With reference to your point "It will be a great loss to the firm if he leaves", I understand that, your friend is a very good resource.

As your friend being a very good resource, company would have done their best to retain. If your friend has some expectations, which can't be fixed by the organization, then it's better your friend move on with his/her new assignment.

Incase if you know that, company has not at all tried in retaining your friend it's better not to touch the sensitive issue. It's like questioning the Manager, HR & Sr. Management on their retaining strategies.

If you find that, your friend is reluctant to talk to his/her manager or HR, it's better to ask him to go and approach for mutual understanding.

As per me the best solution is, you friend should approach his supervisor and express the interest. You should spend some time with your friend and guide in handling the situation.

If there is a conflict between your friend and supervisor, then you can ask your friend to talk to HR for moving him to different group.

You can inform directly to HR or Sr. Management, however this approach will be unprofessional. Some companies entertain this and some may not, however in this process you'll lose the faith on maintaining confidential matters.

Good Luck,
Pradeep

From India, Hyderabad
tandeep.saggu

Hi Harlina,
This is really a sensitive issue, act of approaching the management would be questioning them for their responsibilities, I beleive that they would have tried at their best to retain him, if he has been a rel assest to the company. It would be wise your friend himself talks to the Hr or the management about what he feels n why does he wish to leave the organisation.
Regards,
tandeep

From India, Delhi
kmk.pers
Hi
Good to note that you are taking interest in the Employees wel being as well as Employers.
We do understand that you cant champion this issue by being in the front end, but you can always facilitate by making your friend to meet your HR Head or any other senior person with whom he has good relationship. People leave due to high pay increases, work environment etc.
Employees need to be retained by having periodical feedback or face to face discussions etc. They should feel engaged personally and emotionally.
Regards,
K.Manikandan

From India, Mumbai
pranali

Dear Harlina,
This situation looks very simple but it is not & it need to be handled very tactfully.
If you really want to help your friend & company. then i will suggest first you try to get all & correct information about this issue. Dont be prejudiced because of your friend & then only think about what is in best interest of 3 of you- your friend, your company and ofcourse you in a long run.
Dont rush to anything. All the best!
Regards,
Pranali:icon1:

From India, Mumbai
LT COL RAPHAEL PARAMBI
Hi Harlina,
Ever tried discreet diplomatic communication. It helps if used intelligently. This will help you maintain coinfidentiality. But do take your friend into confidence. I must also say, most of such problems are due to lack of timely and open communication. There is nothing that cannot be solved if "positively stroked". Maybe your friend is just in need of a simple reassurance on being bored. Don't forget to read into his inner needs. sometimes we tend to neglect it and the symptoms manifests itself in ways that we are not prepared to read into or are simply not used to. Most problems at work of this kind start with simple but neglected issues. Talk it out and I'm very sure your friend will make himself comfortable in the the very environment that very many of you are. Do let me know the outcome for my own growth.
Regards,
Raphael

Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.