No Tags Found!

vertika_rawat
List the differences between extensive reading and intensive reading, I will use this in M.B.A. semester 1 for my assignmentbecause i mnot getting the proper ans so plz help me to finding the ans for this question
From United States
diskworm2001
Reading is essentially a process of decoding messages, with a view to understanding a written text. It has various purposes, such as reading for personal interest, pleasure or for gaining information. A single text is not written for any one purpose, but could meet any purpose, depending on individual needs.

Reading in the real sense is an active, rather than a passive process. Active reading means reading to grasp the meaning. It is a skill which has to be developed and practiced.

Based on the purpose for which we are reading, there are five different types of reading –

1. Skimming – Quickly glancing over a text to get a general idea of the content

2. Scanning – Careful reading to find out specific details

3. Extensive reading – Rapid reading to get an overall understanding of the matter

4. Intensive reading – Reading slowly with concentration to get specific details

5. Silent or loud reading – This depends on whether we are reading to ourselves or reading to others

Extensive Reading:

Our way of reading is influenced by the purpose of our reading. Most of us have the habit of reading especially when we are free, or have a lot of leisure time. We might get hold of a novel, a comic strip, or a magazine. When we read for the pure pleasure of reading, it is known as “extensive” reading. However, it should not be given less priority, because it is extensive reading. It is enjoyable, as well as informative. Here, we practice rapid reading to get a global/overall understanding of the matter.

Intensive Reading:

When we read shorter texts like a research paper for getting specific details or information, we read slowly with a lot of concentration. This is known as intensive reading. When you read a book as a resource material for research, you read it intensively because the overall understanding is not the objective or purpose of our reading. When you read an article in order to write a review on it, you read it intensively. We use all the skills of reading when we do intensive reading.

From India, Delhi
Catalyst777

Dear Vertika,
While I'm sure you have been benefitted by the wonderful explanation given by Disksworm2001, I hope that you will do more research to develop you own answer for your assignments.
If you type "extensive and intensive reading" or "extensive Vs. intensive reading" in Google search, you will get plenty of weblinks to help you form your answer that will not only be original, but will also help you be more analytical and creative in your appraoch.
After all, MBA is a professional course that aims to equip us with skills to think and act in real-life situations where, at times, no ready-made answers would be available.
Regards,
Purva
(your fellow MBA student)

From United States, Cary
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.