No Tags Found!

NKTiwari

Please find an intersting question with answer:

Imagine this ...

You are driving along your car on a wild, stormy night, it's raining

heavily, when suddenly you pass by a bus stop, and you see three people

waiting for a bus:

1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.

2. An old friend who once saved your life.

3. The perfect partner you have been dreaming about.

Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing very well that

there could only be one passenger in your car?

Think before you continue reading...

This is a moral/ethical dilemma that was once actually used as part of a

job

application.

* You could pick up the old lady, because she is going to die, and thus

you

should save her first;

* or you could take the old friend because he once saved your life, and

this

would be the perfect hence to pay him back.

* However, you may never be able to find your perfect mate again.

The candidate who was hired (out of 200 applicants) had no trouble

coming up with his answer.

He simply answered: "I would give the car keys to my Old friend and let

him

take the lady to the hospital. I would stay behind and wait for the bus

with

the partner of my dreams."

Sometimes, we gain more if we are able to give up our stubborn thought

limitations. Never forget to "Think Outside of the Box."

Thanks

From United States, Cambridge
Jeroo Chandiok

Think outside of the box.
The right thing to do.
But we are so used to thinking within the box, that we don't even try to think outside it.
Whenever we are in a dilemma we cannot find a solution to, we should take a few minutes off and open up our minds. If we can manage to then think outside the box, how much more would we be able to achieve!
Let all of us do that.
Jeroo

From India, Mumbai
Amith R Murthy

Dear Friend,
Simply superb. I really couldn't stop laughing when i read the end, but it is the moral that is so important and i have understood and this will be really a fantastic question to be put in any interview for all HR's. Keep posting................. :) :) :)
Regards
Amith R.

From India, Bangalore
Manav Bansal
Touched heart.....
Well when i was thinking to choose one of 3.....i think in that thinking process i may have crossed the bus stop without picking anyone....
But really it is out of blue....and if in life this type of situation comes then it can be handled...........
Manav Bansal

From India, Chandigarh
hr_hari

Believe it or not.
The same question was asked to us in my HR class.
I gave the same answer thinging that i am making fun.
But i got appreciation from my faculty.
He he he.. got away with luck.. :lol:

From India, Madras
Varanasi

Hi Tiwari, Really good!!!My thought and the answer which was given by the selected candidate both are same. Regards, Kalyan. :D
From India, Bangalore
ajayi olufemi
Dear NKTiwari,
Thank you for this piece, but there are some assumptions in this, if there is only one person in the car, there is no need for choice, be it as it may, i would rather save a life, pick the oldwoman, to our candidate friend --- what of if the old friend couldn't drive. All our reactions are still imaginary to be very sincere, one is dead to be confused initially when faced with the reality of making a choice, because of some indicators and interferences. Once more it's a good pussle. Welldone.

From Nigeria, Abuja
milinddave@gmail.com
superb.............. do share the same if more is there with you........... a continuous hammering of this might change the thinking of all........ clubbing all together
From India
mojo

hmmm....
as someone did point out the answer the applicant gave has many assumptions and the most glaring would be the fact that he assumes that the friend can actually drive a car... but i supposed that's thinking on your feet in an interview (?). Was that the purpose of the question? Ascertaining the thought process of the applicant? To see if the person has any moral values?
almost all would give the 1st choice as the answer but that doesn't mean they aren't as good as or even better than the one being chosen.
In a real life situation we have to make hard decisions based on little or no information at all and we have to make those decisions fast, personally...I would not want someone on my team to make those kind of decisions based on assumptions which may not be true at all... but that's just me.
Just the same, thanks.

From Malaysia, Kuching
Gogo

Free your mind from the shackles of conservative thinking patterns!
Learn to belive that there is a better way of doing something or approching a dilemma than what comes to your mind first!
Do not let the options given to you bind you literally read betweeen the lines!
It is like giving a creative person some material and asking to create something-one will always come up with something unique!
Let's learn to make creative thinking a part of our lives!
This is what I understand about "thinking out of the box".
What about you?
Love
Gouri

From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.