No Tags Found!

KSGopal

Hi Ms. George,
I can imagine your feeling while dealing with your people. The method of impossing monitory penalties for matters related to discipline can not be justified. However, in my view, few behavioral training will surely bring change in the habit of people. You can also suggest creating SPOCs in each department, who can help HR in maintaining discipline in the organization.
Further, in my view, your organization is believing in Personnel Management rather than Human Resources Management. Being an HR person, you need to upgrade yourself as a change agent.
All the best,

From India, Jaipur
raj.edsnet
Dear Ms.George
This is completely unethical and we can say the management is not keen on enhancing the productivity of employee. Managing people is completely responsible for the management as well as HR Dept's responsibility and that should be mutual benefit too.
1. As Mobile ringing issue as concern, if it affects the required Productivity (Overall Objective) or affecting the co-workers Productivity, you have to take necessary action for this.
If the management just wants to punish the employees, they can fine the guilty.
If the management really wants to solve the issue and expecting better productivity from the employees, you (management) have to educate the employees with the proper witness and show them in a smarter way and explain them that would increase your (employee’s) productivity

2. The other issues like leaving papers and forgetting papers on the table and all is not a big issue provides the employees are working under professional culture. If the employees are not working under professional culture, ultimately that would be the HR dept's blunder.

3. Deducting Salary is no way ethical. Whatever mistakes employee do, if they are not following the company’s policy, straight away terminate them or punish(educate) them with non-monetary terms. Don’t punish them by deducting salary and all. If the employer do so, employees won’t be mentally fit to work for the company. And HR Dept is completely responsible to communicate the new employees about these policies. It is not that much easy to change the new employee while other employees were following these culture. We can make change gradually.

I have taken some factors as an assumption. If you give the exact facts, I will try my level best to sort out your issue.

From India, Madras
priya bhardwaj
According to me this is completely unethical.
For such kind of small issue an employer can not deduct five hundred from anyone's salary.
Just suppose that a peon forgets to switch off the fan or lights then deducting is this amount from a poors salary is really pathetic.you must raise ur voice against it

From India, Delhi
chanuk
Dear Ms.George,
As I think In this situation ,your management can take corrective action rather than this punishment.If you can pay small incentive to whom are not engage with activities like mobile ringing during office hours,sitting in others cabin,going to the floors where they don't have access,leaving papers on the table after the office hours,forgetting papers on the table after the office hours and forgetting to switch off the light it will encourage all. It will motivate your employees and also help to keep better employee relation.
Although incentive is financial or non financial, it will create good image of company among employees.They will also think that company will increase their salary rather than deducting.

From Sri Lanka
tajsateesh

I would agree with V. Balaji's views.
Basically he has mentioned what I mentioned earlier, but in a more simpler way, I should say.
I would suggest that, before jumping to conclusions making judgements based on everyone's views, Ms. George should first look @ the issue from different perspectives.
Rgds,
TS

From India, Hyderabad
gaikwadvt
Dear George,
In now a days as competition is high we have to maintain company secrecy policy, Paper on table may be with very secret data, . Turn light off is habit and this will come either two ways, self discipline or by rule.If Employees will keep self discipline then their will not be rules.Rules are made on past experience. Even i would like to say Liberty is like elastic how much you will stretch it will expand but one day it will lose it characteristics.
To control 10000+ manpower is not joke, and in mob self discipline always absent. Army is best example of rule. They have to be in discipline.
Rule are made for better environment at work. Else it will be like forest rule everywhere .
All Employee should follow the rule properly.
Even if you take example of traffic rule, if their is no fine for traffic violation people will make daily accident on road.They have fear factor of loosing money so they are obi dent to rule.

From Saudi Arabia, Jiddah
gaikwadvt
Dear Friend , If you are at manager position what you have done. To control 10 people is very difficult.and if u want to control 10000+ then think
From Saudi Arabia, Jiddah
kannanmv

Dear Ms.George,

Don't be frustrated. You will be caught between Management and employees most of the time and it is a thankless job. But a few tips may help you.

1. In your pay packet try to introduce an earning head for Work Area Upkeep and Maintenance and inform all employees that they will not earn this if any of the conditions mentioned by you is not fulfilled. (Instead of punishing them for each misconduct).

2. If mobile phones are banned at the security point itself why will mobile phones ring inside the office. You need to ensure that you have a good telephone/ intercom network inside the office with a paging system (Public address system to intimate employees about a call when they are not in the work spot).

3. But I observe that each point that you have mentioned has some value.

a. Not switching off lights - Wastage of energy, additional electricity charges that does not add value.

b. Moving to a different floor - Indulging in chatting which will not only affect the concerned employee but also affect the other person with whom he is chatting.

c.Leaving papers on the desk - Leaking of confidential information.

You can also try and introduce 5S practices (Seiri, Seiton, Seiso, Seiketsu and Shitshuke), keeping work place clean,

Conduct audits

Tabulate scores

Announce scores on notice boards

Introduce a banner that indicates the best work station, best department etc

Give away awards for employees (positive reinforcement rather than negative reinforcement).

When you reward employee for maintaining and punish employee (Work area incentive cut) for misconduct then you will find a balance and your attrition rate will come down drastically.

ALL THE VERY BEST!!!

M.V.KANNAN

From India, Madras
araxy
It is easier to resolve such issues from a process perspective rather than from a people perspective. As someone else mentioned, look at the processes involved and make sure that they are well constructed and there is no reason for these behaviours. Include checklists so that it becomes a habit to check if lights are on for example. Ask the people involved to write the process - they will feel included and in charge of their own work. Publish these processes and name the Process Owners. You will probably find that penalties will not be needed. Also, analyse the reasons for people's behaviour. Maybe some of it makes sense and some "rules" need to be changed. Good luck!
From United Arab Emirates, Dubai
abhishekvictor
Hi George,
Its really very hard to say about Ethics most of the time its a matter of perception however since you are very fresh in the industry i suggest you should be positive.
Most of the times when you walk up to a person and directly speak up against a policy you will not be taken in positive sense.
I suggest you try to find out when and how this particular policy came into effect? What was the situation before the policy came into force?
Also you should try to convince the people to reduce the no. of misconduct and you could help them by providing signs on the walls or may be a screensaver on the PC etc.
You could also try to convince the management about giving a warning letter then a showcause notice and after these two if a person still continues these acts you could suggest the fine. I think most people won't do it after the warning letter.
It was very nice to find that being in HR you have planned to do something about the situation
Best of Luck
Regards
A.V.

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.