No Tags Found!

believer1
I am working as a Sr executive. completed my five years. Now I am planning to switch the current job. Many good offers have come towards me but because of two months notice period. No companies are interested in waiting such a long time. Now I planning to abscond from the service with my current company. Now my doubt is will I get gratuity which I am already eligible or can my company can try to stop it.
From India, Thane
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Believer1,

Abandonment of employment has ramifications beyond the payment of gratuity also. After serving five years, it is advisable to acquire an unblemished service-cum-employment certificate. If you abandon the employment then your company will be forced to terminate your services. What if the company mentions the actual reason for your separation in the service-cum-employment certificate? With this kind of certificate, it could create difficulties in getting future jobs.

The via media is to put down the papers and have a smooth exit. At the same time start searching for a new job. A situation may arise wherein you could be without a job for a few weeks or even months. Nothing wrong per se. You can concoct some reason for being without a job. Though this route is also fraught with risk, it has lesser risk compared to what you plan to do.

Please note that in future when you apply for the position of VP or Director, you could be told to furnish employment details of all the previous jobs. Against this backdrop, if your current company confirms that you had abandoned the services then your candidature may be turned down. Therefore, please do not do a trade-off between short-term and long-term gains.

All the best!

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
umakanthan53

Dear friend,
Of course you will get your gratuity despite the likely fact that your present employer can dismiss you for your abscondence. But that would be a black mark affecting your career and employability in future. Trust worthiness is an important trait expected of a managerial cadre employee. Abandonment of services for the sake of evading notice period service cannot be a desirable option by any stretch of imagination. That's why more reliance is placed on BGV whenever a new employee is selected for service. Two months is not too long a notice period considering the position held by you now. You can negotiate with the prospective employer for sufficient joining time in case you would be likely to be compelled to serve the entire notice period of two months or try to convince the present employer to accept for a buy out offer from your side.

From India, Salem
Nagarkar Vinayak L

Dear colleague,
After putting in five years' of service as an executive it is an irresponsible act of thinking to quit by absconding. It will badly reflect on the person and will be weighed against him by future employers.
You should genuinely think of smooth separation by buying the notice period if that condition is mentioned in your appointment letter and if you are in a tearing hurry to quit immediately or else serve the required notice and leave in good taste.
Regards,
Vinayak Nagarkar
HR and Employee Relations Consultant

From India, Mumbai
PRABHAT RANJAN MOHANTY

You are eligible to get gratuity since completed five years service. It would be prudent on your part to take a graceful exit for better future. You can negotiate for buy out option for the notice period or serve the notice period than absconding.
Your planning to abscond from the service may land you in no man's land as well entangle you with legal complicacies i.e. ( Service can be dismissed and Gratuity can be suspended as per the provisions of the Act dismissed person, the BGV can be failed and other consequential disadvantages).
Now you can decide, what would be better. Always remember this 'Short cut may Cut short the life".

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.