Anonymous
I got in HDFC bank, and though I have already received my Offer letter, my joining dates are being delayed. I was being informed that the joining dates depends on the manager.
How much time can it take for manager to assign a joining date? (As I have already shifted to my new location half a month back)

From India, Mumbai
DIPTI SRIVASTAVA 83

The time it takes for a manager to assign a joining date can vary widely depending on various factors, including the internal processes of the company, the specific department or team you're joining, the availability of the manager, and other logistical considerations. While there is no fixed timeframe, here are a few things to consider:

Internal Processes: Different companies have different onboarding processes. Some companies have well-defined processes that expedite the onboarding of new employees, while others may have more complex procedures that can take longer.

Manager Availability: The manager's availability and schedule can play a significant role in determining when they can assign a joining date. Managers often have multiple responsibilities, including overseeing their team's work and handling administrative tasks.

Team Dynamics: The manager's decision to assign a joining date might also depend on the team's current workload, ongoing projects, and the need for additional team members.

Communication: Sometimes, the delay could be due to communication gaps between HR, the hiring team, and the manager. If there are any miscommunications or delays in relaying information, it can impact the timeline.

Company Policy: Some companies have specific guidelines or policies related to onboarding and joining dates. These policies might influence the manager's decision-making process.

External Factors: Occasionally, external factors like budget approvals, office space availability, or changes in company priorities can impact the onboarding process.

Candidate Volume: If the company is hiring a significant number of new employees, it might take longer for the manager to assign specific joining dates to each individual.

Given that you've already received your offer letter and have been informed that the joining date depends on the manager, it's a good idea to maintain open communication with the HR department or the point of contact from the company. You can inquire politely about the estimated timeline for assigning a joining date based on the manager's availability. They might not be able to provide an exact date but should be able to offer some insights into the process.

If you're facing challenges due to the delay, such as relocation expenses or adjustments to your plans, consider discussing your situation with the HR representative to see if they can provide any guidance or assistance.

Remember that patience is important during this process, and maintaining a positive and professional attitude will contribute positively to your experience as you transition into your new role.

raghunath_bv

Hi,

There are various factors/reasons for this :
Approval from Senior management
Upcoming Projects
Financial position of the company
And there could be many more.and it all depends on how much the company values your position. If they really value you high and in no way they don’t want to loose a candidate like you, they’ll make sure they’ll extend the offer to you in less than a weeks time. Valuing a candidate depends on the way the interviews are conducted and how someone evaluates your capabilities, skills and experience. If the interviewer lacks the capability to evaluate, they might delay the offer as they are not able to take a decision properly. In good companies, there would be a streamlined interview process to evaluate someone which includes the evaluation criteria and scorecards. If your offer is delayed, the reason might be that the company doesn’t have a standard evaluation process to select the right candidate. Secondly, they might be interviewing other candidates too.

Please keep in touch with the respective HR and keep looking for other opportunities. Also, I feel it could be an excuse to keep you in bay.

Thanks

From India, Bangalore
vmlakshminarayanan

Hi,

It vary from Organisation to Organisation ; Bank to Bank.

There are so many internal process involved. It would be better for you to write a positive email to the employer stating that based on the offer you had shifted to the location of job and eagerly awaiting for the DOJ.

From India, Madras
Dinesh Divekar

Dear member,

The bank you are referring to, the largest private lender in the country, reported a standalone net profit of ₹11,951.7 crore for the quarter ended June 2023, registering a growth of 30% from ₹9,196 crore in the same quarter last year. Therefore, the financial situation of the bank cannot be the reason for not taking you on board.

Frankly speaking, it speaks poorly of the largest bank issuing an offer letter without a joining date. This is a clear case of poor manpower planning. Once the vacancy is declared and when the recruitment process is completed, the vacancy has to be filled. The decision cannot be left at the discretion of the Branch Manager (BM). If the BMs enjoy that kind of discretionary power, then why the bank needs HR Department at all?

It is unfortunate to know that you have shifted to a new location but rather than taking you on board, the bank is forcing you to cool your heels. Let us think of the opposite for a while. While the BMs have the power to restrain a selected candidate to take on board, does the bank provide similar powers to the candidate on when to join? Is discretion not supposed to be a two-way street? Had there been a delay in joining, the bank would have cancelled the candidature of the candidate.

If read between the lines, your post reveals the weak organisation culture of the bank. It goes without saying that the bank does not care about the culture of commitment. Possibly, when they take you on board, in the induction training, this very bank could speak loud about how they care about employee wellbeing and so on.

As other members have commented, you have no option other than showing a good-natured tolerance for the delay or incompetence.

Lesson to the HR Professionals: - The post reveals how HR department is incapacitated. If the selected candidate is left in the lurch by the BM, fairness demands intervention by the HR department. But it appears that HR Department is as helpless as the candidate. Ordinary employees do not trust HR because of their inability to assert themselves when the situation demands.

A new trend has emerged wherein a few HR professionals while giving comments on the posts raised on the public forum, provide solutions that are generated by Artificial Intelligence (AI). Such AI-assisted replies are dumb, lack originality, are theoretical and do not view the case of the originator of the post empathetically. Not necessarily do they understand that rather than raising their stature, this over-reliance on AI could undermine it still further!

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
vmlakshminarayanan

I fully agree with Mr.Dinesh Divekar ! Sharing replies using AI is not a good practice. Without having practical experience and exposure in HR functions just copying and pasting using AI as source is absolutely dumb. As AI's replies are limited to inputted Data the replies may not be accurate. I think the Admin of this forum should intervene on this.
From India, Madras
pvenu1953@gmail.com

Yes, I too share the views of Mr. Dinesh Divekar and Mr. Lakshmi Narayan. AI generated views under the guise of expert opinion needs to be avoided. Such postings are bound to discredit the public forum itself.
From India, Kochi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.