No Tags Found!

jyotijha
What should an HR do when he/she comes to know through personal means that his/her employee had been for an interview elsewhere and has also been extended an offer there! At this point, what should be his/her role as: -an HR / -a person
From India, Bangalore
CHR

As HR -> I really don't think you can do much other than probably talk with the person to find out why he/she is seeking a change. Most tend to look for a change to find more challenging work or an increase in salary or stature or if they are dissatisfied with the management of the company or their bosses.
If you want to retain this person in your company perhaps you need to figure out how you can offer a better option to this person than what he/she is being offered elsewhere. In any case it's best to keep track of how employees are treated as an ongoing process rather than try to mend things when they start looking for a change cause most often they have made up their minds and will leave anyway.
As a person -> Well you can congratulate him/her and wish him/her best of luck.

From India, Gurgaon
enarvaez55
Hi!
Actually, what HR can do is ask the person why she is leaving. If your company has come up with something more to offer the employee you could also ask her if she would reconsider her decision. :lol:
Basically this is also one of the reasons why we conduct exit interviews, so that we would get the opinion of the employees who decides to leave the company. So that we could also improve the organizations set-up and policies.

JAYARAMAN SHREEDHAR
Every person is entitled to look for opportunities and this is a fact that needs to be realised by the HR Head. It, therefore, would be in fitness of things for the HR Head to talk to his employee who has attended the interview. The objective of such a talk would be :

a) Find out why the employee wants to leave the organisation?

b) If it is career related aspiration, which the HR Head knows cannot be matched by him, he could wish the employee the best of luck.

c) If it is due to pecuniary reasons, the HR Head, pragmatically, could find out what could be done to retain the employee.

d) If it is due to employment factors like work environment, lack of interest, social factors, etc the HR Head could try to look into this factors so as to solace the employee.

Ultimately, if I were an HR Head, I would realise that whatever be the carrots that I offer, an employee having once tasted it, would try to bargain again. There is no end to this. I would only have to look into my training cost and cost of re-training. If it would have a negative effect on others, I would prefer to wish the employee best of luck and try to keep the employee at least till the replacement could be trained by the employee leaving.

From India, Hyderabad
Ed Llarena, Jr.

Jyotijha,
The "delimma" you're referring to here is the same "dilemma" that Mr. Webster talks about in his books?
Yes?... well, I just want to call your attention on the typo error you made on this page.
And, yes! ... I also agree with all those who said that it is the employees' right to look for better opportunities outside our organization, especially when they can't find it within or inside your company.
This is the reason why we HR practitioners, especially those still employed and managing their HRD to be more proactive and give Career Development a lot of time, priority, and budget.
Without that, employee retention, especially of the good ones that can always find better paying jobs elsewhere, will be extremely difficult.
Best wishes.
Ed Llarena, Jr.
Managing Partner
Emilla Consulting

From Philippines, Parañaque
sub_ray@seecasia.com

Yes. Some good points raised by all our members.
In my opinion once an employee has decided to leave the organization, as a HR Head, better allow the employee to leave(( I know many eye brows would be raised). If he styays back, it will effect his performance levels and ultimately the down fall in the productivity of the organization.
In short his commitment level will come down.
But all in all, as one of our friends rightly pointed out, exit interview is a must, so that we can cross check whether there are any flaws in our policies, or everything is okay.
We need to make sure these kind of these things will not repeat again.
And finallly as an individual just wish him all the success.
comments or suggestions are welcome.
Thank you
Subhash.RV :D

From India, Hyderabad
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.