No Tags Found!

Anonymous
Dear HR Professional,

I am involved in a dispute with my former employer. I may file a lawsuit against the employer. However, the employer is indirectly hinting about an incident where a female employee had levelled allegations against me. These allegations were not disclosed to me even when I had asked my employer about the issue. I had asked the employer to investigate these allegations / complaints but they did not. The female employee was upset because she wanted to leave with a notice of only 7 days whereas she was supposed to give a notice of 2 months. This happened over 3 years ago. The employer never acted on my complaint.

My question is: Can the employer take an almost 3-year-old issue and use it against me? The employer seems to be using some blackmail tactics. This does not seem right to me as the employer should have investigated the matter when I had asked for it.

Please advise.

From India, Gurgaon
raghunath_bv

HI,

It's important to consult with a legal professional for advice specific to your situation.

In many jurisdictions, there are statutes of limitations that limit the time during which certain legal actions can be taken. This means that after a certain period of time has passed, legal action may no longer be possible for certain claims.

If the incident involving the female employee happened over three years ago and there was no action taken by your employer at that time, it's possible that the statute of limitations may have expired for any potential claims related to that incident.

However, every legal situation is unique, and there may be exceptions or specific circumstances that could affect this. It's crucial to consult with an employment lawyer who can review the details of your case and provide advice based on the specific laws and regulations in your jurisdiction.

Regarding the employer's behaviour, if you believe they are using this old incident as a form of blackmail or retaliation, it's important to document any communication or evidence related to this matter. This documentation may be useful if you decide to pursue legal action or if you need to defend yourself against any potential claims.

Again, please consult with a qualified lawyer to get advice to your specific situation. They can provide you with the best guidance based on the laws relating to the case and its details.

Thanks,

From India, Bangalore
skg123456
I would appreciate if any of the experts could respond...
From India, Gurgaon
skg123456
Thanks Mr. Raghunath for the response.

I am not as much concerned about the employee who left as soon as she got the offer. This was more than 3 years ago.

I am concerned about the employer now using the incident against me. I do not believe the former employee would be interested in pursuing the case.

Wasn't the employer obligated to investigate the case when the complaint was made (the complaint was made verbally by a relative of the employee and not the employee herself)? Can't the employer be held responsible and asked why it is raking up the issue now, and why it did not take any action when the matter was reported?

My question is around the employer's behavior and would appreciate if someone comment on that.

From India, Gurgaon
KK!HR

These are empty threats. What action can an ex-employer take against you now? Since you have already left them without any prejudice, the employer cannot initiate POSH proceedings against you. The very fact that the alleged incident took place nearly three years back and the employee concerned did not complain about it then are sufficient reasons against initiating any criminal proceedings now in the matter.
It intrigues me to know how you got the threat now, and where the paths crossed. To advise you on the legal options available, more facts would be required.

From India, Mumbai
manohar-pandey4376673
Pl. note there is no relation with earlier incident to currant one . Every things decided at the time of incident and past and present incident can not be deals with present incident . This is bed practice and can not be sustain any were.
Pl. put your argument and deals positively.
Thank s
Manohar Pandey
GM-HR

From India, Jamshedpur
skg123456
Dear KK!HR and HR/legal experts

The incident took place in July 2021. So it is not 3 years ago but around 2.5 years ago. The employer did not give me anything in writing at that time. They did not investigate the matter.

A few months later the employer terminated my employment in January this year (not because of POSH charges) and now I want to sue the employer for wrongful termination. The employer prevented me from taking another job by making false promises. Then a few months later they terminated my job. Now I want to take legal action against them.

In the scenario that I sue them, can the employer bring up the old POSH incident and trouble me? Please note that no formal investigation was done then and the female employee did not even file a complaint against me. She was required to give a 2 months notice but wanted to leave with 1 week notice only. So she trumped up some charges which were never investigated.

Kindly advise.

From India, Gurgaon
KK!HR

Since you are no longer their employee, there cannot be any domestic inquiry against you on this count. As regards a criminal case, in any matter of sexual harassment, the material evidence is that of the complainant. When there is no complainant such a charge would lose its potency. From your account, it does not appear that there is sufficient circumstantial evidence to indict you.

You may discuss with a good labour law practitioner and seriously weigh the pros and cons of your chances in challenging the termination. Unless full facts are known, I refrain from commenting on them. If called upon to defend themselves, the employer may try to bring in the POSH angle against you, just to sensationalize the termination case but it will not hold water as pointed out earlier.

From India, Mumbai
skg123456
Thanks KK!HR for your response and helpful nature!
From India, Gurgaon
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.