archi1993

Dear Seniors, I am HR Professional and having an issue which we generally deal with or do the needful in other employees' Case.
There is a guy who is sales manager, company having 70 % of his clients & he is the senior one and most powerful as well now he started chasing me unethically started calling and messaging in odd timings also behaving unprofessionally and talking nonsense all the time. I have spoken with him and warned him many times that stop doing this please else I'll speak with Management but no improvement, I believe Management will not listen to me at all... because that guy is more important to them, please suggest what to do... Do I need to speak with Management regarding this or shall I resign quietly?

From India, New Delhi
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Archi,

This is a typical scenario in the Indian companies wherein one person or even one of the departments calls the shots and others are expected to be subjugated by him or them. If he has mustered the courage to call you at odd hours then it goes on to show his audacity. The reason for his audaciousness originates from his view that more than me, the management is dependent on me. Therefore, I can have my own way.

Anyway, continue to warn him. However, while doing so start generating evidence of your communication with him. Start recording the telephone calls. Never disclose to him that you have started generating evidence of his misdemeanour.

If things come to such a pass where you are no longer in a position to bear with him then approach the management. Let us see what happens.

In the meanwhile, start finding out what are his weaknesses. Can this weakness be exposed to the management albeit surreptitiously?

If nothing works then start searching for another job. Finally, achieving our career goal is important to us and not objective is not reforming one's behaviour.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
nathrao

Sales manager is stuck in his own ego trip and assumed power(as per what you say)
Start recording his voice,make note of timings he visits you and what he said and if there are witnesses,names.
Keep his whatsup number blocked when you leave office,so that he cannot message you.
At any rate fully document his actions-date,time,actions,place-office canteen,corridors etc.
Discreetly sound out your co workers and find out whether he is acting you only in this creepy fashion or with others and also his earlier history if possible
Once your ground work is complete and he is not ready to understand that his behaviour is unacceptable and unwanted, then put it in writing to higher management.Mean time look around for another job on the side so you can step out of this company and hopefully step in another company.
Dont be scared and be firm.

From India, Pune
gannahope

Ya sir i can understand your situation..

Usually it happens for two reasons

1.Generally newly joined employee in their way of approach ... applies a STRATEGY OR FORMULA.. that is obeying any orders given by anyone including an Attender or office boy.

This phenomenon goes for 2months Or 3months.Then the newly joined employee thinks that he has understood everyone and he can stand on his own way.

He will give and implement his own style.

During this budding time some senior staff may take it as lenience and behaves like above in your case.

The only thing you should do is show your own style of approach in settling the every issue.. It will easily wentoff with mouth publicity. Then that fellow stops his embarrassing way of calling you.

Now come to

2nd ... Possibility is..

Personality issue.

Suppose you are so small personality

So youngster or older.. So innocent or ignorant in Appeal. Always

So much depended on others

will give lenience to others.

If you stop asking everyone everything by staying cool calm standby will bring tension in the minds of Ragging natured seniors. Within few months all will be come to normal .

In anyway you have to prove your stuff in problem analysis and problem solvation methods.

Unless you can change firm to lighter company....

From India, Nellore
Nagarkar Vinayak L

Dear madam,

This is a clear case falling under Sexual harassment at work place and you need to take actions under the law if you so desire. You need to escalate the matter as you have given enough warnings but no change is seen.

Without giving it a try, your assumption that the higher management may side him , may not be correct. Despite your expressing dislike and warnings for his unprofessional approach and behaviour at and off workplace, if he has not changed it, it is high time you speak to the decision maker with datewise incidents and your verbal warnings.

If he is married, next time he continues to indulges in the same behaviour, tell him you will have to inform his wife/ family members as well as police as a last resort.

I do not favior any hasty decision to change the job but favior your firm actions without fear within available means under the law.

Regards,

Vinayak Nagarkar
HR and Employee Relations Consultant

From India, Mumbai
savita-sholapurkar

Dear Archie
I feel that you should give him a final warning so that he does not misbehave with you in future.
However, in case he does call you at odd hours or talks irrelevant things, please record them and keep the call log handy. Also would suggest that you keep informed the IC members verbally and do not be in haste to give a written complaint.
If his behavior improves then good for you and if not you can make a written complaint to IC member under POSH Act. Do not explore the option of resignation at this junction.

From India, Mumbai
otp_mohan

Dear Friend,
Here problem lying with Managing Directors/business owners. There is no competency in Sales. That is the reason he becomes egoistic, unprofessional and unethical. Challenges/problems are everywhere in workplaces/industries. One Sales Manager withholding lions share, 70% clients of the company, and makes unbreakable position with power/money. He has the core value in his profession and managing directors support him.
An organisation/company should not mould by one employee. Here HR has to go through competency. Hire other experienced Sales Head/President from competitors. If hired employee performs well other person’s power and support will decrease. But hiring cost/Management support will be a problem.
Never show your weakness to the world, because world is much interested to play with it. Problems are wonderful ‘transition points’ in life. Problems will come to your life to make you or break you. HR has a bigger role to play in mitigating the challenges by creating appropriate capabilities across the industry/sector.
Yours faithfully,
Mohandas Nair.

From India, Mumbai
saswatabanerjee

The behaviour is mostly in the realm of Sexual Harassment (we do not have the full details, so people are guessing)

In that case, under the POSH regulations, the company is bound to take action on a complain by the woman employee.

If your company has a Sexual Harassment Committee, you can make a formal complaint to the chairperson of the committee.

If the company does not have a committee, then it is in violation of the law. In which case you can file a complaint with the District Committee set up by the District Magistrate (you need to see where the local committee office is).

However, if you are taking a step of complaining to the authorities, your life in the company may become difficult. So you need to consider all options, including how important the job is to you and the ease of getting another job in you need to change.

From India, Mumbai
rkn61

@Archi1993,
Presence of such persons is available in many companies. As these personnel perform well (or rather delivers goods - brings results to company) they feel overconfident and think that the top management personnel or chief executive is in his pocket and this thinking, motivates him into
this type of behaviour.
But as you mentioned in your post, do not shirk away from your roles and responsibilities.
Once you starts facing and talk to him in an assertive manner (not aggressive), he shall get
demotivated. If he repeats his behaviour, prepare a written complaint and submit to the Chief executive of your company with a copy to Delhi commission for women -as you are in New Delhi, address of which is given below:-
Delhi Commission for Women
Address: C-Block, 2nd floor, Vikas Bhawan, ITO, IP Estate, New Delhi, Delhi 110002
Phone: 011 2337 9181
As our senior member advised to you, please keep proof of documentation made by you
in this regard.

From India, Aizawl
gannahope

Oh Sorry Madam..you are Girl.

Ok then you change your way of approach. Report his unnatural behaviour to Higher dept officers in written make a copy to at MD ,chairman level. Even if he does not change ...pls lodge a complaint before police ..results..they will

put him behind Bars... Under the case of sexual harassment during workplace ..that is a serous crime.

Request the police to be confidential.. Certainly they will manage the things in favour of you..

If you are shy to go police stairs..

Then take the help of local labour dept. By giving a complaint.

Then that fellow will call upon to LABOURDEPT office for enquiry if not company heigher officers will be called upon to office with a joint meeting notice and suggests his transfer or any suitable action on that fellow when proved . .. Even suspended or thrown out from company.. Such things already happenedin many companies. many many stalwarts and said to be pillars of the company were thrown to roadside because of such things...so Don't worry Be brave.

We are all with you..PROTECTION OF WOMEN FROM SEXUAL HARRASSMENT IN WORK PLACE IS A CENTRAL ACT. RECENTLY A YEAR BACK CAME TO ALL STATE GOVTS FOR SERIOUS IMPLEMENTATION. IT IS ALSO ADDED LABOUR DEPT. TO MAKE CONFIRMATION THAT THERE IS NO SEXUAL HARRASSMENT IN THAT INSPECTING COMPANY..DURING THEIR INSPECTION. IT WAS ALSO ADDED A COLUMN IN THE INSPECTION PROFORMAT.

MOREOVER THE RESPONSIBILITY OF MAINTAING SEXUAL HARRASSMENT FREE IN THE JURISDICTION ALSO. IF ANY SUCH COMPLAINTS RECEIVED THE LABOUR OFFICE SHOULD ACT AS SERIOUSLY FOR REDRESSAL.

From India, Nellore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.