No Tags Found!

Sachin1998
I got an offer from new company with joining date as 1st July 2024, now i have resigned from my current organization with Last working day on 28th June,2024, but now the new company HR told my due to some organization rearrangement joining will happend on 1st August,2024,which mean in month of july'24 i would have already been released and sitting idle at home, so can i ask the new company HR whether they can compensate me for this time period
From India, Bengaluru
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Sachin,

Once the offer letter is issued to the candidate selected for the job, the company and the candidate both are expected to honour the offer. Neither can rescind. However, your company has unilaterally extended the date of joining. You have no option now but to accept it willy-nilly.

Your question was whether you could send a letter to the company asking for compensation for the extension of the date of joining. Yes, you can do so, but when you initiate the communication, do not ask for compensation in the very instance itself. Acknowledge the receipt of the email/letter and inform them that your last working day at your existing company is June 28, 2024, and from the next day onward until July 31, 2024, you will be without a job. Express your concern for a gap that will be shown in your CV.

Wait for the reply from the future company. They are expected to write something to cover up their decision of extension. In the next email/letter, write to them that you have financial obligations to meet and a one-month gap in earnings could disrupt your financial planning. Do not use the word "compensation" but ask for the "reparation allowance". The tone of the letter/email should convey your request rather than a demand.

By the way, if your future company were to be sensitive about honouring the commitments, notwithstanding the losses suffered, they would have taken you on board. The extension of the date of joining shows that they are tight-fisted.

In the meantime, reach out to the HR of your existing company and send them feelers. In the first attempt, do not show your eagerness to extend your stay in the company. Just ask them about their efforts to arrange a replacement. By chance, if they are unable to find one, then project that you are doing a favour to them by extending your stay and that it is not out of your personal need.

By chance, if both attempts fail, then do not allow dissatisfaction to overwhelm you. Use the time to maintain physical fitness, take some technical courses, develop soft skills, etc.

Thanks, and I wish you all the best!

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.