G K Sharma

Cite.Co is a repository of information and resources created by industry seniors and experts sharing their real world insights. Join Network

I have worked at company -Z for a period of four month. During this period, the company did not ask me to sign any letter of contact/employment. I was verbally told that i was a confirmed staff. No letter was given.

On 25th February 2008 , i submitted my resignation letter on the spot.

I was told that i will have to give either one month notice or a month salary in lieu if i fail to do so.

I informed that i will pay them. I need to go to the bank first.

Shortly, i received two sms ( short messaging service) via mobile phone from the company. Stating that if i fail to pay them a month salary by the next day, i will be hearing from their lawyer soon.

I paid them a cheque that very day.However , i was not paid that month salary.( February )

Hence, i would like to know , since i did not sign any official contact with them, is it in the company's right not to pay me for the month salary but for me to pay them a month salary in lieu. In this case, the company will have actually receive nearly two months of salary.

Kindly advise me and who can i seek help from in Singapore. ?


From Singapore, Singapore
If you are working in an establishment, (atleast in Madras Shops and establishment there arfe provisions and i presume you have similar provision in other states too) there are provisons in Shops and Establishment act to approach under the act for payment of your salary to the Labour Officer.
Procedure is simple and you can do it yourself. You do not need an advocate
Try it

From India, Chennai
Once you have deposited t one month salary in lieu of resingation in the shape of cheque, the question does not arise whether you have been given appointment letter or not and there is any contract between you or not. As per company requirement you have given the cheque of one month salary, now it is the duty of company to release the salary of last month you have served. If the realization of salary is not maured, you may give an application on simple paper to the Labour Officer of your district for giving the advise to the company.
(GK Sharma)

This discussion thread is closed. If you want to continue this discussion or have a follow up question, please post it on the network.
Add the url of this thread if you want to cite this discussion.

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2020 Cite.Co™