NK SUNDARAMFirst of all, do you know why you were recruited ? What was informed to you during interview ? You would have been briefed during the recruitment your role and responsibilities. You have not told the kind of school you have joined - whether it is Nursery and primary school or a Delhi Public School type because HR role vary depending upon the size. Assuming it is a big school, your job role may involve, attendance of Teaching and non-teaching staff members, sourcing and recruitment of teaching and non-teaching staff members, their performance monitoring, career growth or promotions, organising employee engagement activities. Scope is vast but what your management allows you to do is different. Teaching staff leave the school sometimes after a short stay, if their work becomes monotonous. You have to coordinate with the Principal or Dean and create a fine working environment. It is in your hands. If interested, take me as your consultant.
srivastavacmlalDear Citehr Member Ms Lavanya,
A broad outline has been given by N.K. Sundaram. Kindly refer to the job description/charter of duties and appointment letter given to you. If no duty list has been given to you, then you have to prepare a draft duty list and get it approved from the Principal/Manager of the school. The level and size of school is the most important factor which will determine the duties of HR Department. In some organizations HR Department is also given the job of drawing salary of staff. It is also important to mention that HR Department has to prepare/maintain/update the job description/charter of duties of teaching and non teaching staff of the school. For more details you can contact me on phone or by email.
Chandra Mani Lal Srivastava
New Delhi/Tuesday/08.11.2022/10:17 am
From India, New Delhi
audnisCongrats for being in HR Dept in a School.
1. The HR person is a part of the School within the - employee as a Watchman/Security to Head Master/Principal or School Director.
2. Get a copy of School By laws created by the Management if there is one.
3. Draw an 'ORGANISATION CHART" bringing in every one inside the chart, where you give a box finally the student that are down the line.
4. Now Start an Employee Chart under each group and sub-group as per Organization Chart.
5. That way you get the details of the every employee in the School and their role in the running of the School.
6. Although the above are needed you cannot neglect the primary job of Attendance and Payroll management which is a daily activity.
7. This you can get the Employee details from the attendance register- so that the immediate work of monthly Payroll doesn't get affected.
8. As a new HR it takes a little time to understand the present employees on record.
9. Then if they have a system of maintaining file for each staff that should be looked into and its method of updating.
10. Once you have studied the entire present structure of the available resources then you can see that improvement is needed.
11. HR is a delicate job the bridge between the Management and Employees-Teachers and allied staffs.
12. You cannot neglect even the watchman of the School as he is also an employee.
13. More than Human Resources your responsibility include allied facilities made available for the staff inside the school to the outer work Watchman/Security.
14. Human behavior of each employee-teachers and others are to be studied from the past incidences and what action the school management initiated again them.
15. More so a healthy relationship is a must.
16. When frequent meetings takes place with the Management - Principal or Managing committee then the various needs that are required - such as recruitment or replacement during leave period as temporary staff or due to retirement are discussed and action plan is derived.
17. Health facilities and Emergency facilities for the Students welfare is also a responsibility of the HR as during the students are inside the Campus it is your responsibility to ensure their safety by health and behavior.
18. Compulsory attendance either bio-metric or physical record is a must to ensure who attended the school and classes and who are absent.
19. No student will be allowed to go out of the compound during the school class hours. If they are sent out of the school a register to the effect is a must with details of Student Name class study, Class teacher permission, Teacher who entrusted a work to go out and the approval from the Principal.
20. Even if the student had to leave the School due to an emergency then it should be put in writing and what is the circumstances and who were present to allow the student go out of the compound.
21.Gate Register:- at this untimely going out and untimely coming in should be put in writing with vehicle number that dropped and that picked up with the person reported.
22. Gate copy from school management is absolutely necessary for allowing any one in such circumstances.
23. Even teachers and Principal write in the Register as a Role Model to implement in such a system and HR too should adhere to it.
24. Now coming into Government Rules and Management Rules concerning the Employee-Leave, sick leave etc. These are to be studies as the by laws and Rules that are prevalent and how it is implemented. Naturally, with the help of finance and other department these could be studied and its day to day update and data keeping be done regularly.
The subject is very broad as when you are really on the job then you can make it efficiently.
From Saudi Arabia