I have accepted an offer from a big MNC, I received a joining date but it was clashing with my last working date of my previous organization and I had a trip planned way before I received a joining date.

Once I got the joining date, from that day onwards I started requesting HR for changing a date via their official email.
After few days of constant reminders , I received reply that the required date is beyond 120 days hence they can't approve this and in that email they requested their senior to assist (which that "senior guy didn't even bother to reply for constant 5-6 email threads)

I again started emailing for confirmation and provided them two options, if I can join late or join early and apply for leave for my travel(also sent them my ticket and booking details)

Then recruiter (the senior guy) finally replied over email that this will be taken care and joining date will be changed

After that recruiter called me and said he need to ask senior management for the approval and it can be dicy situation and If I can go ahead , which I said Yes.

And he meanwhile said call me a week before your new joining date and he will take care of this.I called him a week before my preferred time joining date.

Now once I came back from my travel , I didn't get any joining date, or any other communications.

I again started calling/ emailing for updates but now no response from recruiter.

I asked one of the existing employee to talk to the recruiter via their local messaging system, and in that he said usually we drop the employee who doesn't join in 120 days and mostly Inwont be able to join now

I am relieved from my past organization waiting for this recruiter to give me new joining date (of course started giving interviews for new job )

What can be done for this situation?

From India, Ahmedabad
Labour Law & Hr Consultant
Partner - Risk Management


Putting forth all these details, better to send a legal notice to the prospective employer as well as the recruiting agent.
When switching jobs, the candidate should be doubly cautious about the problems in formal exit from the current employer and obtain sufficient joining time accordingly. Always, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

From India, Salem

Actually, I think you were pretty stupid (from my point of view) in prioritising your vacation over your new job.
I can see from what you have posted above, that they company (Senior Recruiter) never agreed to give you a new date and didn't give a new date either. He only said he will try. Did he give you a new date of joining? If he did, then you should just go and report.

Most companies will consider employees like you who don't want to join on the specified date, as frivolous, irrespective of whether it was justified or not. I think that is what happened in your case here. companies are learning to be flexible, specially with work-life balance, preplanned vacation time, etc. But the reality is that its not yet sunk in and in your case, you hadn't even joined the company when you started making demands. 120 days is 4 months... It would be surprising that the company was willing to wait even that much for you to join

On what legal route you have available with you, we can't comment, mainly because we don't have the relevant details.

From India, Mumbai

If You Are Knowledgeable About Any Fact, Resource or Experience Related to This Topic and Want to Be Part of Such Discussions in Future - Please Register and Log In to Cite Community.

About Us Advertise Contact Us Testimonials
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2023 CiteHRŽ

All Material Copyright And Trademarks Posted Held By Respective Owners.
Panel Selection For Threads Are Automated - Members Notified Via CiteMailer Server