I have join the institute in 2010. I have started my PhD in 2015. University has introduced the bond in 2019. I have to sign the bond because my four years of work was completed and about to finish my PhD work. If I don’t sign the bond then four years of my PhD work gets vanished. So I have signed a bond in 2019. Now I am resigning from the job. So they are asking me to pay 500000 rupees. I have paid all my fees during my PhD work. So I want your guidance.
From India
Labour Law & Hr Consultant
Partner - Risk Management

Use factoHR and automate your HR processes

Mobile-first hire to retire HR and Payroll software that automates all HR operations and works as a catalysts for your organisational growth.


If you have signed a bond, then you should stick to its terms Please give us the reason you believe that it does not apply to you.
From India, Mumbai

Dear friend,

There is no mention about the conditions of the bond.
Probably as an existing employee of the same university, you might have joined the PhD in the same university. Therefore, the university has two roles, one as your employer and the other as the institution conducting the program and conferring the degree. In that case you would have obtained prior permission to do your PhD without detriment to your duties in the university as an employee.
If so, whether the permission granted before joining the research program was unconditional to the extent of not requiring any bond?
If the permission granted by the employer/university in 2015 was devoid of bond condition, in my opinion, new such condition cannot be added later in 2019.
Since your position as both an employee and research scholar of the same university is vulnerable and more precarious, I don't think it is correct to hold that having signed the bond once, you cannot question its veracity when the very bond itself is an after thought of the university as the employer. Under this situation, it is better for you to be patient till you get the doctorate and resign afterwards. At that time you can ask for waiver or question it in a Court of Law.
You can consult your research guide, if he is reliable and a practicing civil lawyer as well.

From India, Salem

If you are knowledgeable about any fact, resource or experience related to this topic - please add your views.

About Us Advertise Contact Us Testimonials
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2022 CiteHR®

All Material Copyright And Trademarks Posted Held By Respective Owners.
Panel Selection For Threads Are Automated - Members Notified Via CiteMailer Server