If I inform about criminal FIR, will I get dismissed in private company? - CiteHR

My wife filed 498 and other possible criminal charges on me. Marriage was for less than 2 months. They tried to extort money and then after 5 months filed FIR. I work in very big us Investment Bank. I am going to tell them about case since code of conduct says so. What will be possible outcome from my employer will I loose my job?
Case has not filed in court yet. Police is yet to submit chargesheet. What should I tell HR and will they ask me to resign to save them from publicity. I have worked hard and this job is my last hope. I married to an orphan but she ans guardians are harrasing me for money. Case is totally fasle. Please guide me how to tell HR? Should I tell them at all? It is been 2 months I did not tell them. But in recent training it was mentioned to inform in such cases but not about consequences. Please guide.

From India, Mumbai
Dinesh Divekar
Business Mentor, Consultant And Trainer
Partner - Risk Management
Workplace Assessment And Training

Dear Abhay,

Please go through my following post:


The newspaper clipping is self-explanatory. If you still have doubts, then come back to this forum.


Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Thanks Dinesh Sir,
I have also came across this article before. However I am still confused whether to tell my HR about FIR. Code of conduct says, Hiding such information shows dignity and what type of person you are. We need honest people especially when they are working for such jobs, which requires to follow many rules given by exchanges and all. If I don't tell them now, they might take this as violation of code of conduct and have valid reason to dismiss me. There is high chance that my wife can call them too.

From India, Mumbai
Dear Abhay,

You have written your post in a confusing manner. In the first paragraph, you could have given information about yourself. Where do you work, how long are you working there etc.

In the second paragraph, you could have mentioned the criminal complaint made against you by your wife.

In the third paragraph, the rules of the company regarding the disclosure of the information related to the criminal case.

In the fourth paragraph, your queries could have come.

Your one-paragraph post has created a hodge-podge of everything. Members expect better business writing from the persons who work in a "big investment firm". Far from giving advice on the actual problem, if one is required to write on how to write a post in sequence, then it speaks volumes. Basic rules of grammar are not exempted for those who work in high-fi companies.

Well, gentleman, this is a professional forum. Please keep in mind that professionalism begins where the casualness ends. All the public forums are not like Facebook!

Anyway, coming to the solution. It is not the complainant but the police file an FIR.

First Information Report (FIR) is a written document prepared by the police when they receive information about the commission of a cognizable offence. It is a report of information that reaches the police at the first point of time and that is why it is called the First Information Report. To know more about FIR, you may click here

Since the police authorities are yet to file a charge sheet, you may wait for the same. After the charge sheet, the case will go to court. At that time, you may disclose to the company authorities about the court case.

If you are convinced that the accusation is false, then you may approach the court to squash an FIR. Of course, it is costly and you need a good lawyer to defend your case forcefully. In that case, you can stop the case from being taken to the court.

Your worry about being fired just because of an FIR or the court case is unfounded. Indian jurisprudence works under the principle "nobody is guilty till it is proved". Look at our lawmakers. About a third of MPs or MLAs have criminal cases filed against them. Not only they are allowed to contest the elections, but they make laws for us. Therefore, why an accused cannot work in a private company? Companies dismiss the staff provided the moral turpitude is established. If you have not done something of that kind, then no need to worry as such!


Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
As none of us work in senior management of your company, we are not in a position to give you a definitive answer on this matter.

The reality of this is that you will only find out once you have discussed the matter with your company. Before taking any action you need to prepare yourself for a possible negative outcome, and work out how you are going to deal with it. Having a Plan B is very important if you are to move forward.

From Australia, Melbourne
Since your Code of Conduct says you must inform the company of any case filed against you, why are you even asking whether you should inform HR. You have no option but to do it.

You have not given any details of your organisation or what position you have in it.
Therefore we do not know whether it actually makes any difference to them whether you have a case that is filed against you. Are you important enough that it will become publicity for the company?

As John said, only your company will know what action they will take.
Or you will know based on your knowledge of the company you are working with

From India, Mumbai

If you are knowledgeable about any fact, resource or experience related to this topic - please add your views.

Add Reply → Start New →

About Us Advertise Contact Us Testimonials
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2022 CiteHRŽ

All Material Copyright And Trademarks Posted Held By Respective Owners.
Panel Selection For Threads Are Automated - Members Notified Via CiteMailer Server