I joined my company on 14th September 2020 with a contract period of 1 year. After the contract ended I worked for the company for 1.5 months as i was waiting for an offer from the company. The company didn't meet my demands so i want to quit but they have said that i have to work for 1 month as the notice period is of one month. Is it really required for an employee to work even after the end of the contract? If yes then what are the consequences of not serving the notice period.
From India, Chennai

Attached Images (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: jpg IMG-20211103-WA0021.jpg (173.9 KB, 22 views)

Partner - Risk Management
Freelancer In Hr &indirect Taxes For
Doctor Siva Global Hr

Use factoHR and automate your HR processes

Mobile-first hire to retire HR and Payroll software that automates all HR operations and works as a catalysts for your organisational growth.


The appointment letter you have posted, if it is real (It looks like you made it yourself for this post) is strange. I have not seen a company make a stupid letter like that.

Anyway, the appointment is for a specified period. How can the appointment letter be given when you are working through a contractor, I do not know. So if the appointment period is over, there is no need for notice period for termination on either side.

However, you have not ended your employment on the last day specified in the letter. Therefore, it is assumed that you have mutually modified the letter and terms of employment. Now the employment is 'at will' and therefore the normal and standard notice period is applicable. One month notice period is quite fair.

I would suggest you complete the notice period and take a clean exit as future employers will definitely do background verification.

From India, Mumbai
Yes I have received the appointment letter from my company. Is there any other option instead of working for 1 month?
From India, Chennai

Dear Colleague,
As rightly guided by our Colleague, it is clear that the terms of appointment is some times " express or implied" In your case if you left the company on the date on which your contract expired, no one can question you as there is no employer -employee bond exist after that. But having worked for 1.5 months and you were mute, there is an implied bond exists and better you complete the 1 month notice period and exit smoothly if you are not satisfied with any new offer that might be given by the same employer.

Abruptly breaking service is possible and legally you may face if any actions followed by your employer that that will spoil your further career. Having patient for few months let this one month also go. There is no other option like notice pay buyout as the said contract is silent on this provision.
All the Best, God Bless
Doctor Siva Global HR
Tamil Nadu

From India, Chennai

Dear Syed Haseeb,
As per the law the contract ends/expires at the end of stipulated date of the contract. Therefore the clauses in contract or the terms of appointment is not binding on you. So you can leave without offering the notice period because the contract can not compel you to do as it has exhausted in lapse of time.

Your employer has not mention any such clause of riding, hence the period of work for 1.5 months can be ended as per wish as no contract is existing on any day.

On the basis of the shared contract appointment your employer cant move legally. It is you to decide what should be your future action. s followed by your employer that that will spoil your further career. Having patient for few months let this one month also go. There is no other option like notice pay buyout as the said contract is silent on this provision.

From India, Mumbai

After the expiry of contrac period, a contract employee can not continue to work further unless the principal employer asks for and issues you the fresh offer letter.
In the absence of such fresh appointment letter or offer letter, such employment is not justied.
Hence there remains no value to clauses of termination etc.
You worked for 1.5 months after the termination of contract,under what authority is a question?
You may approach Hr Department or management to get the clarification and if not satisfied You can leave.
amicable sttlement is always the best way to part with.

From India, Vadodara

If you are knowledgeable about any fact, resource or experience related to this topic - please add your views.

About Us Advertise Contact Us Testimonials
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2022 CiteHRŽ

All Material Copyright And Trademarks Posted Held By Respective Owners.
Panel Selection For Threads Are Automated - Members Notified Via CiteMailer Server