Dear Team, We had an employee whose joining date is (for the 1st company) 01 July 1999 & he got transferred to our sister concern company in 01 may 2013 ( 2nd company) but we did not give them any transfer letter now & he has finally left on 30 Jan 2021. But he did not claim his gratuity for the first company in these years. Now could you please suggest do we need to calculate gratuity from 1999 to 2021 or we can leave that previous company gratuity?
From India, New Delhi
Dinesh Divekar
Business Mentor, Consultant And Trainer
Industrial Relations And Labour Laws
Hr Manager
Deputy Commissioner Of Labour..a.p.
Hr Consultant
Nagarkar Vinayak L
Hr And Employee Relations Consultant
Hr Manager

Use factoHR and automate your HR processes

Mobile-first hire to retire HR and Payroll software that automates all HR operations and works as a catalysts for your organisational growth.

Dinesh Divekar

Dear Archi1993,

While doing the inter-company transfer of the employee within the group, your company should have been thoughtful of the legal consequences. The thoughtfulness includes guiding the employee on the provisions of the Payment of Gratuity Act. The second company while taking an employee on board, could have guided the employee to claim the gratuity from the previous company. A timely settlement claim would not have required this post to be raised.

Many employees do not give due importance to their rights as an employee. This could be out of the trust toward the employer and also because of the lack of awareness. Nevertheless, employers cannot take undue advantage of either or both.

The second part of the last sentence of your post is a little shocking. You have written "Now could you please suggest do we need to calculate gratuity from 1999 to 2021 or we can leave that previous company gratuity". If you wish to wash your hands off from the payment of gratuity from 1999 to 2013 to an employee who has served 22 years in the group then it is outrageous.

If you wish then your company may raise the internal debit note to the previous company and claim for the gratuity from 1999 to 2013. However, make sure that the employee gets his dues from 1999.

If you just pay gratuity to him from 2013 to 2021 and take solace from the fulfilment of the provisions of the Payment Gratuity Act, the employee might have to run from pillar to post to get his gratuity from 1999 to 2013. However, it will send a wrong signal to all other employees. They may perceive that long service means nothing to the employer. The reputation of the company in their eyes could come down. Are you prepared to take that risk?


Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore

Dear Sir ,
Thank you so much for your reply .. but one more thing i want to bring in your notice that he has stolen few company records and he has took his entire team along also company assets not retuned by him like card ,i phones etc . please suggest what to do

From India, New Delhi
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Archi1993,

The payment of gratuity and the fraud/theft at the workplace are two independent things. There is no need to establish a relation between the two. If the employee has stolen the company's assets then did you order the domestic enquiry? Did you ask the employee to depose before the enquiry? If the culpability of the employee is established then you can tell the employee to refund the amount of the stolen goods itself. If the employee does not do that then you can file a police complaint.

However, you can do all this provided you have material evidence of the employee possessing the company's assets. Have you maintained the meticulous records to prove that certain goods are transferred to the employee? Do you have tax invoices of the assets that the company owns? For conducting the domestic enquiry or for filing a police complaint, two vital documents are proof of the ownership of assets i.e. tax invoice and loan card signed by the employee.

Notwithstanding the fraud or theft committed by the employee, the employee is eligible to claim the gratuity. The gratuity can be withheld provided the employee has been involved in the action of moral turpitude. Not returning the company's goods is not a severe offence that can fall under moral turpitude.

While leaving the employment, if the senior employee has taken his entire team with him then it shows the team's allegiance to him. The incident demonstrates your company's failure to develop the loyalty of the staff to the company. Rather the senior employee ensured that the staff owes allegiance to him. These things happen when overall the administration is person-centric rather than organisation-centric. If the employees from the department resign from the company where the senior employee worked then they have done it out of their volition. It is not misconduct either by the senior employee or his teammates.

Anyway, your leadership has a lesson to learn from the incident.


Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore

Thank you so much Sir for your reply
From India, New Delhi
Nagarkar Vinayak L

Dear madam,
The fact is that no transfer order was issued containing terms of transfer.
The question is should the service put in the former sister company be treated as continuous one for the purpose of gratuity.
It is possible to take a view that the entire service in both the sister companies be treated as continuous one.Or treat the service in first sister company as ended from the date of transfer and also treat as fresh employment.
But in either case, since he has completed more than five years of service, he is eligible and entitled to gratuity from both the sister companies .
Mixing the issue of misconducts with the gratuity is unjustified and should be handled independent of each other having regard to due process of disciplinary actions as per law.
Vinayak Nagarkar
HR and Employee Relations Consultant

From India, Mumbai

For coverage of Payment of Gratuity Act, the establishments under one management or different units where financial integrality or inter dependency is available will be treated as one. Therefore, even if you have not issued a transfer order with treatment of previous service etc, his service will be treated as continuous. As such you cannot ignore the previous service.
In an arrangement where there is no transfer order available, the employee will be in a more comfortable position because in the absence of any written communication, his service with the second company under the same management will be considered as a work arrangement. Who credits his salary is irrelevant here.

From India, Kannur

Hello All
Section 4 (6) of the Payment Of Gratuity Act permits an employer to forfeit gratuity payable to an employee in the certain circumstances. As per the said provision:
✓ The gratuity of an employee, whose services have been terminated for any act, willful omission or negligence causing any damage or loss to, or destruction of, property belonging to the employer' shall be forfeited to the extent of the damage or loss so caused;
✓ The gratuity payable to an employee may be wholly or partially forfeited (i) if the services of such employee have been terminated for his riotous or disorderly conduct or any other act of violence on his part, or (ii) if the services of such employee have been terminated for any act which constitutes an offence involving moral turpitude, provided that such offence is committed by him in the course of his employment

From India, Bengaluru

Very recent judgement by Supreme Court of India - Employer is empowered to hold back gratuity payment, on termination of services of any employee - except on medical grounds.
From India, Aizawl

Ya good quiery sir
But not yet revealed the facts. Suppressed. How one can say the employee is transferred from first company to syster company as you have not yet given any such orders. It is cristal clear as per your words he left your company on a such date.
If it is open secret known to any it is your primary responsibility to pay his right of gratuity.
I t is also could be understood to anyone on this quiery you are willingly avoid to pay his gratuity.. You made a fake trial to skip your minimum responsibility of his payment of gratuity.
Now...come to the point in anyway you have to pay his gratuity without any such your doubts. Pls.
Sir please go ahead none can stop you in payment of his gratuity.

From India, Nellore

If you are knowledgeable about any fact, resource or experience related to this topic - please add your views.

About Us Advertise Contact Us Testimonials
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2022 CiteHRŽ

All Material Copyright And Trademarks Posted Held By Respective Owners.
Panel Selection For Threads Are Automated - Members Notified Via CiteMailer Server