Hi, This is sureshbabu. I have completed 5 yrs 10 month service in one Company.and they are not giving gratuity and saying Company is in losses. If company gets profit they will give. Please suggest me the approach that i follows. i left the company almost 1 yr

Understand the behavioral aspects at individual as well as organizational level →
Promoted: IIM Raipur Executive Development Program In Human Resource Management

Please approach labour commissioner of the area fir redress.
From India, Pune

Please send an email to your ex-employer with their response stating that it is more than a year since you had promised to pay me the gratuity and if you continue to dodge the issue I shall have no option but to approach the Labour Comm for redress.
Give them time of two weeks and let it be known that you would wait till such date before proceeding further in this regards
Thanks and Regards

From India, Hyderabad
hi saurav accrding to gratuity act your employer is bound to pay you the gratuity amount instead of their loss as you said. What i am suggesting get in touch with your ex employer and send him the screenshot of gratuity act section , otherwise go to the labour court.
sr. executive hr

From India, New Delhi

You can assertively take up the matter of payment of Gratuity with your ex-employer.
You have every right to receive payment of Gratuity from them.
Please also refer to earlier thread in this form - .https://www.citehr.com/602791-if-gra...ml#post2445742

From India, Aizawl

Before answering your question ,you need to be aware of the legal position as regards paymentt of gratuity which is obligatory on the part of your employer

Section 3 of the Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972 provides for a ‘Controlling Authority’.

Different areas have different controlling authorities that ensure the effective administration of this act.

The act gives the controlling authority the status of a ‘quasi-judicial’ body which implies that it is empowered to adjudicate disputes arising out of non-payment of gratuity.

Upon recipt of your complaint in specified form regarding non paymnet of gratuity by your employer , the Controlling Authority may issue a notice in Form ‘O’ to both the applicant employee and the employer. The two parties will then have to appear before the authority on a specified date, time, and place, given in the notice.

If the employer fails to present himself or an authorized person before the authority, the authority may proceed to hear the case and determine the employee’s application ex parte.

If the employee fails to appear before the authority on the specified date, then the application will be disposed of.

The authority, on hearing the case and examining the facts may pass a direction and issue a notice to the employer if it is established that employee is entitled to gratuity.

A notice is served to the employer in Form ‘R’.

Generally, an Assistant Labour Commissioner of a state is appointed as a controlling authority in a state with the hearing taking place in the office of the Labour Commissioner.

If you have been denied gratuity payment by your employer, you can file a complaint under Section 8 of the act, against the company. The controlling authority, on hearing both sides, if satisfied with the employee’s stance, can direct the employer to pay the gratuity that is due along with the interest on it.

If an employer fails to pay gratuity amount along with interest 30 days after the controlling authority has directed it to do so, the appropriate government, be it Central Government or State Government, whoever is concerned with the employing organization, will authorize the controlling authority to start prosecution against the employer, within 15 days.

Section 9 of the act provides for all penalties that can be imposed on your employer by the Controlling Authority. Your employer will be liable for imprisonment for non-payment of gratuity – up to 6 months which may be extended to 2 years if the controlling authority deems it necessary.

It is not necessary for the employer to be imprisoned for 6 months as, if the controlling authority is of the opinion that a lesser term of imprisonment would suffice, the provision of 6 months of imprisonment would not be applicable.

A penalty amounting to imprisonment of 6 months could also be imposed on your employer if he knowingly makes a false statement or representation to avoid payment of gratuity.

Before proceeding with leagl steps, you need to once aging appeal to the employer to settle your gratuity within 30 days ,pointing out the aforesaid legal consequences .

As long as your company is not declared sick unit , the employer is bound to settle your grauity within 30 days of your leaving the organisation.



From India, Chennai
Hi Suresh,
It's already two months elapsed almost since you raised the query/the gratuity became due. Don't know what has happened as on date. If remains the same,
First pl.confirm whether you have filed your claims in the prescribed Form I as per the Act? If not do it immediately under acknowledgement. If they don't acknowledge, send it by regd.post ack.due. And follow up within one week. If nothing happening then you have to send a report of non-payment to the authorities as discussed above. Nothing is lost, if delayed beyond one month or so you'll get the gratuity with interest till the date of payment. Having no money cannot absolve them from the liability to payment of gratuity.
Specimen Form-I is attached for your use.

From India, Bangalore

Attached Files (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: pdf Gratuity Act Form-I.pdf (20.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: docx FORMS UNDER THE PAYMENT OF GRATUITY ACT.docx (11.1 KB, 75 views)

If you are knowledgeable about any fact, resource or experience related to this topic - please add your views using the reply box below. For articles and copyrighted material please only cite the original source link. Each contribution will make this page a resource useful for everyone.

Please Login To Add Reply →

About Us Advertise Contact Us Testimonials
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2021 CiteHR.Com™

All Material Copyright And Trademarks Posted Held By Respective Owners.
Panel Selection For Threads Are Automated - Members Notified Via CiteMailer Server