Rules to create a kitchen for all the employees - CiteHR
Dinesh Divekar
Business Mentor, Consultant And Trainer
Sr.manager - Hr&admin

Cite.Co is a repository of information created by your industry peers and experienced seniors sharing their experience and insights.
Join Us and help by adding your inputs. Contributions From Other Members Follow Below...
Hi Everyone,
I need some help over here, I work in Chennai for a UK based software company, they are planning to create a kitchen for all the employees to prepare their own food or reheat their food.
The company wanted to know if there are rules or licenses to apply for to have this plan fulfilled.
I do not have an idea of these, can you all please help me?

Dear Mojoman911,
How many new kitchens will be opened? What type of heating equipment will be used? If electric kitchen equipment like ovens or induction cookers will be used then calculation what will be increase in electricity consumption per kitchen and what will be increase in the total load. After doing this, check the transformer capacity. Check whether it can take the additional load.
In case if your company does not have independent building then check with the builder what is total capacity of the transformer. Secondly, what if there is power failure? Do you use the DG set? If yes, has the DG set supply been given for 15 Amp electricity sockets also? If yes, then check whether DG set can take additional load.
In case if you are going to use the LPG cylinder, then all this calculation is not required. Nevertheless, you may approach nearby hotel or restaurant and find out whether any statutory approvals are required for keeping more than certain number of LPG cylinders. However, please note that you cannot have any cooking activity in the basement of the building.
Dinesh Divekar

Hi Dinesh,
Thank you so much and this is a lot of information.
Toanswer your questions, the plan is to open just one kitchen heating types of equipment will be an induction stove, Micro oven and LPG.
Do we need to get an approval or Licence for these, we are not selling any iteams but just a simple kitched, the kitchen will be on the 4th floor of the building independent, the employees work areas are the 2nd and 3rd floors.
Thank you.

Dear Mojoman911,
Since it will be in-house cooking activity, there is no need for any statutory approval. However, make sure that there is a proper ventilation and chimney is installed. Secondly, 15 Amp sockets should work only with normal electric supply. On and above, keep a small fire extinguisher. Every three months, you must check whether the earth is working properly or not. Maintain records for the earth check and expiry of the fire extinguisher.
Dinesh Divekar

This is further to the thoughts shared by learned senior member Dinesh.
If preparation of food is involved as stated by you ( " prepare their own food or reheat their food.") then you will be expected to apply for catering license from the local civic body(corporation office). Alternatively you may manage stating that it is only dining room where employee eat food brought from their home. However in the longer run it is advisable to obtain license if preparation of food is involved.

Please Login To Add Reply

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2020 Cite.Co™