If salary issue to be talked about then it should have been done before accepting the resignation now better not to do postmortem of the Resignation & Salary. This is my personal view.
1. How could you pay the PF contribution for these 2 months, where as the employee has zero income?
2. You are directly accepting that the person had earned wages from which you realised the EPF contribution and submitted with EPFO.
3. It would be wiser to settle the issue before get into bigger problem. You can not abscond from the case under payment of wages, if a case is filed.
4. It would be wiser to pay wages for the period to avoid future complication.
5. The wages is never paid on basis of performance of workman unless untill ther e is a clearcut terms of condition in appointment letter or otherwise futile.
So You cant deduct or hold the salary. So please pay the same and make free him as soon as possible before he goes in any tribunal.
You will be digging your own grave if you don't pay his salary.
Monthly salary is paid for attendance and doing normal work and incentive payment is paid
for targeted performance and the extent of its achievement. Both are different.
The question is rightly asked as to how did you pay PF contribution without paying salary. It is illegal in the absence of payment of salary.
Don't be vindictive with the employee. Withholding salary presumably without giving an opportunity to explain reasons for non- performance and unilaterally punishing the employee in this manner will fail to stand legal test and is bound to boomerang on you.
So settle this with grace and be done with it.
Similarly the payment towards PF when there is no salary,how can it be paid?
So i agree with all my fellow contributors to this query that the best way is to pay up and let bygones be bygone.Start with a fresh slate.