CHAPTER VI WORKING HOURS OF ADULTS
51. Weekly hours.- No adult worker shall be required or allowed to work in a factory for more than forty-eight hours in any week.
52. Weekly holidays.- (1) No adult worker shall be required or allowed to work in a factory on the first day of the week (hereinafter referred to as the said day), unless- (a) he has or will have a holiday for a whole day on one of the three days immediately before or after the said day, and (b) the manager of the factory has, before the said day or the substituted day under clause (a), whichever is earlier,- (i) delivered a notice at the office of the Inspector of his intention to require the worker to work on the said day and of the day which is to be substituted, and (ii) displayed a notice to that effect in the factory: Provided that no substitution shall be made which will result in any worker working for more than ten days consecutively without a holiday for a whole day. (2) Notices given under sub-section (1) may be cancelled by a notice delivered at the office of the Inspector and a notice displayed in the factory not later than the day before the said day or the holiday to be cancelled, whichever is earlier. (3) Where, in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (1), any worker works on the said day and has had a holiday on one of the three days immediately before it, that said day shall, for the purpose of calculating his weekly hours of work, be included in the preceding week.
53. Compensatory holidays.- (1) Where, as a result of the passing of an order or the making of a rule under the provisions of this Act exempting a factory or the workers therein from the provisions of section 52, a worker is deprived of any of the weekly holidays for which provision is made in sub-section (1) of that section, he shall be allowed, within the month in which the holidays were due to him or within the two months immediately following that month, compensatory holidays of equal number to the holidays so lost. (2) The State Government may prescribe the manner in which the holidays for which provision is made in sub-section (1) shall be allowed.
54. Daily hours.- Subject to the provisions of section 51, no adult worker shall be required or allowed to work in a factory for more than nine hours in any day:
1[Provided that, subject to the previous approval of the Chief Inspector, the daily maximum hours specified in this section may be exceeded in order to facilitate the change of shifts.]........
57. Night shifts.- Where a worker in a factory works on a shift which extends beyond midnight- (a) for the purposes of sections 52 and 53, a holiday for a whole day shall mean in his case a period of twenty-four consecutive hours beginning when his shift ends; (b) the following day for him shall be deemed to be the period of twenty-four hours beginning when such shift ends, and the hours he has worked after midnight shall be counted in the previous day.
There is no blanket prohibition to work the Factory during Night shifts. Only to deploy females during night shift there are some restrictions. However you should refer to your state's Factory Rules for further details.
Also see other links provided on the right side of your screen.
26th November 2018 From India, Bangalore