Paluru Satyanarayana
I am working with R. R is having huge civil contracts. For these works, labour is being supplied by V from a village called P. Nowadays, State Administration is objecting movement of labour from village P. State Administrationis saying that for movement of labour, a valid labour licence should be there with the person who is arranging movement.
My question is who is to obtain labour lience. R is telling that I need labour but being supplied by V, V is to obtain licence. V says that I am supply labour for the work of R, so R has to take licence.
Can I can get an advice please.

From India, Hyderabad
Legal Counsel
Workplace Assessment And Training
Hiten Parekh
Hr - Pharmaceutical Industry
Management Student


hi, if its a contractual labor agreement. the contractor needs to approach FORM V, to the principal employer. you can submit the form V to the local administation & get the labor licence from admin.
From India, Mumbai
Hiten Parekh

Hi Satya !

As per the Contract Labour Act, the prinicpal employee has to get the register itself (firm) for dploying contract labour. He has to name the contractors and number of contract labourers he intends to deploy. This is called as 'registration as principal employer'. For this it has to apply in the prescribed form with Labour Department (Labour Officer / Asst. Labour Commissioner whoever is competent authority) of the reginon. The details required are about the nature of work for which labourers are to be deployed, the duration of work proposed, etc.

Once the principal employer is registered, the contractor (those named by the prin. employer) has to apply for licence with the licencing authority. He has to pay security deposit also per labourer to be employed by him.

The amout of deposit varies from region to region.

The registration and licence are to be renewed annually and returns are to be submitted from time to time. Along with this various welfare measures are to be arranged by the contractor and ensured by the principal employer. Ultimate responsibility is with the principal employer in all terms.

Hope this helps you.

- Hiten

From India, New Delhi

Please see the CLRA and also recent circular of ESI. It will clear all your doubt. In the post of Kalyan he has provided the Circular.
You will also have to see the Inter State Migrants Act.
With Regards
V.Sounder Rajan

From India, Bangalore

hello can any one suggest me Is interstate migration and labour licence is same? on of my contractor have interstate migration licence can he go for Labour licence (state ) too
From India, Angul
Lamshwa Kitbok Nongrum
As retired Labour Inspector, i am of humble opinion that the question is pertaining to the Inter State Migrant Workers' (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Services) Act, 1979.

The basic idea of the Act is to prevent exploitation of Migrant Workers at site deployed by mandating the obtaining of recruitment licence of the thikedar at the home state Labour Department. Hence, as per above analogy V has to obtain recruitment licence from the jurisdictional Labour Office of village P.

1. R is the Principal Employer - will have to obtain a Registration Certificate in his home state.
2. V is the Contractor - will have to obtain Recruitment Licence in Migrant Worker homestate and Licence of Employment in state of deployment i.e. location of R
3. V will maintain statutory registers and file returns
4. R will maintain register of all contractors under him like V

Hope some clarity is there.

Founder - L.I. Associates
87875 85370

From India, Aizawl

Lamshwa, This thread is 15 years old and the OP is long gone.
From Australia, Melbourne
Lamshwa Kitbok Nongrum
Right. Thank you Mr. John. It slipped my mind to check the date when this was posted.
From India, Aizawl

If you are knowledgeable about any fact, resource or experience related to this topic - please add your views.

About Us Advertise Contact Us Testimonials
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2023 CiteHRŽ

All Material Copyright And Trademarks Posted Held By Respective Owners.
Panel Selection For Threads Are Automated - Members Notified Via CiteMailer Server