Retired Government Servant/advocate
+1 Other

Sir, My name is srinivas and working in a central govt Organisation.
I'am staying with my family in an rented apartment.We have quarters provided by our organisation , which are not in a condition to stay( Parts of slab are leaking and also some patches are falling off from the slab). Our top management has formed a committe to look into this matter and GE is not giving any decision in this matter, Who is the custodian of all the quarters for maintenance.More over in the year 2019, the quarters are to be demolished as the life of the quarters is completed as per GE( Garrison Engineer)
In this context is there a rule in HRA central govt rules , which I can Quote and avail the HRA?
18th April 2018 From India, Visakhapatnam
respected sirs,
Is there no one who can help me out in this regard?
19th April 2018 From India, Visakhapatnam
Dear Mr. Vijay,
To the best of my knowledge,
a) If the quarter provided to you is unlivable, then the GE must put it under maintenance or special repair, else your refusal to take that quarter will relegate you in the roster. Alternatively, depending on which govt service you belong to, an appropriate authority can give you an "unhygienic certificate" for the allotted quarter.
b) Once GE puts the quarter into maintenance / special repairs, or you get an "unhygienic certificate" then the quartering officer (or the relevant controlling authority) will have to cancel your allotment and give you an alternative accommodation, if available.
c) As long as there are vacant accommodation available (excluding those under special repairs / maintenance) the quartering officer will allot you one (even if below scale). Essentially, no govt quarter will be left vacant (and employees allowed to claim HRA) if there are people waiting in the accommodation roster; because quartering officer will have to justify why he is recommending HRA when quarters are lying vacant.
I hope I have answered your question.
19th April 2018 From India, Kochi
There is a general norm (Except in Metropolitan cities) followed in many government departments that HRA could be disallowed if the employee denies to occupy the Government quarters allotted to him. However, exemption could be made if the said quarters are sub-standard or unfit to occupy. But there needs to be a decision by the competent authority to this effect. Admittedly, your department is ceased of the issue. But the decision is delayed.
You may take steps to expedite that decision by getting a certificate from the civil engineer about the condition of the quarters and submitting it to the authorities. You have the option to approach the CAT, but it involves some expenses unless you would be able to appear party-in-person.
21st April 2018 From India, Kochi
Add Reply Start A New Discussion

Cite.Co - is a repository of information created by your industry peers and experienced seniors. Register Here and help by adding your inputs to this topic/query page.
Prime Sponsor: TALENTEDGE - Certification Courses for career growth from top institutes like IIM / XLRI direct to device (online digital learning)

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2019 Cite.Co™