Hello, i am a freelance programmer, one of my friend that work with a company approch me and ask me to join their company and offer me as a founder of the tech company, and work on their project.
This deal will required me to quit all my other ongoing freelance project and fully work on their project. At that moment i have a fixed client as i was working on an ongoing project that is keep changing on it’s requirements. (Basically i have a secure source of income and a secure work)
However, my friend approch me with this “sweet deal”, that have somehow make me to join them.
The deal was:
- Remote work (as they are based at a different location)
- Travel for meeting if required(cost covered by the company)
- Profit sharing
- Directorship of the company
- Taking salary basis every month
- Three months salary compensation if the deal does not work out (either the company think i am noy suitablr or i decided yo quit)
When we start the project i keep asking about the agreement that list all the detail about this deal. He keep avoiding and ignore that part(seems like he trust the company very much), end up we work on a non agreement basis with the company. The original deal has changed:
- no directorship
- no profit sharing
(Basically i am back to freelance basis just that i am taking salary from them, without any appointment letter or any other agreement was given or signed)
I felt cheated already, however i have no choice but to continue work for them. Until few days ago, there are this request from the director asking us to go work at oversea, as we do not wish to work oversea, we have decline the request.
Then the drama start, they have decided to fire me and my friend of the project and then find other team to take over the project.
I am totally fine with that as long as they pay the compensation they promised me. However, since we do not have a written agreement, they have choose to ignore and refulse to pay me the compensation. Now i am screwed...
Luckily, I still have their laptop with me.
My question is, if I do not sign any agreement with them nor they have given me anything to sign for taking their laptop, should i return their laptop after they have broken all their promise and basically screw me? If i do not return their laptop will i face any problem? In terms of law, and etc...
This is a very difficult decision for me as i have no experience in this wired and screwup situation...
As i do not have any on going project, i might have to sell that laptop and get some money to cover up my living cost as i find new work to do...
Thank you... 16th April 2018 From Malaysia, George Town