Hello, Can dues from employee like excess salary paid or notice period recovery be adjusted against Statutory bonus or gratuity payable to employee
From India, Noida
Other than Section 18 employer can not deduct the Bonus Amount.
Section 18 - Payment of Bonus Act . Deduction of certain amounts from bonus payable under the Act. –
Where in any accounting year, an employee is found guilty of misconduct
causing financial loss to the employer, then, it shall be lawful for the employer to
deduct the amount of loss from the amount of bonus payable by him to the
employee under this Act in respect of that accounting year only and the
employee shall be entitled to receive the balance, if any.

From India, Pune
From gratuity you can, with proper substantial documents stating that the employee is due to the company like excess paid salary or advance dues etc
From India, Hyderabad
Dear Ganesh,
Since the contingency of adjustment of the dues mentioned has become coincidental with the F&F Settlement of the employee on his termination of employment, I feel that the brief answer of our learned friend Mr.Prashant B.Ingawale needs further elaboration and explanation as well. Deductions from wages by the employer is permitted only in respect of the kinds enumerated in S.7 of the Payment of Wages Act,1936.Therefore, it is pertinent to analyse first whether the statutory bonus and gratuity against which you intend to adjust the excess salary paid or notice period recovery could be construed as "wages" as defined under the PW Act,1936 and secondly whether those items proposed to be deducted fall in the exhaustive list enumerated u/s7 of the Act.
Clauses (e)(1) and (6) of Section 2 of the PW Act,1936 explicitly exclude bonus and gratuity respectively from the definition of wages. Therefore, even if the items proposed to be recovered from the employee in the eve of his termination fall within the list enumerated u/s 7, the employer can not make any adjustment towards such items from bonus and gratuity.
Such being the position, the next option before the employer is to see whether these items are deductible from the statutory bonus or gratuity under the Payment of Bonus Act,1965 and the Payment of Gratuity Act,1972 respectively. S.18 of the PB Act,1965 prescribes the deduction of certain amounts from bonus payable under the Act. It is only the proportionate amount of loss caused by way of any misconduct by the employee during the Accounting Year only. S4(6) of the PG Act,1972 which contemplates the partial or total forfeiture of gratuity of an employee would not also be helpful to the employer as the termination of employment is based on no misconduct of the employee.
Therefore, you can not adjust the items of excess salary paid or notice period recovery against the statutory bonus or the gratuity payable.

From India, Salem
Dear Sir,
Refer to your query, the suggestion given by Mr.Umakanthan is always appropriate. You cannot adjust excess salary paid or deduction of amount under notice period in F & F Settlement against the sums received under Bonus & Gratuity by the employee. You can forfeit the amounts of Bonus & Gratuity in certain conditions as clearly stated by Mr.Umakanthan.
Thanks & Regards,

From India, Chennai
Dear All,
I have observed, with pain, that some members are commenting on issues without sufficient knowledge of the same.
Kindly note that this is a professional forum & one is expected to comment only if one has reasonable knowledge of the same. Issues of laws & compliances are very tricky & any unprofessional, off the cuff advice can put the other person in serious trouble !
I therefore request all such gentleman to maintain decorum of this forum & avoid the temptation of commenting on subjects of which they have no knowledge.
Anil Raina

From India, Delhi
Dear Ganesh,
Deduction from bonus! No
But can be, if any dues is shown as advance payable under bonus or any amount settled aginst the employee for found guilty of misconduct causing financial loss to the employer.

From India, Mumbai
sir, we are a govt.of india autonomous body. we have engaged casual workers through labour contractor. We normaly paid Non-Productivity Linked Bonus scheme (ad-hoc bonus)Last Year Rs.1188/- (Central government order). Now our workers are demanding 8.33 % of wages.
is it applicable for us ? the amount is Rs.7000/- fixed
please clear

From India, Palakkad
Dear Bijoy, The Payment of Bonus Act, 1965 is not applicable for your Organization i.e
we are a govt.of india autonomous body
Further, your query is regarding Payment of Bonus to Casual Employees.
Please let us know whether Regular Employees of your Organization are eligible for Bonus? What is paid to Regular Employees, same needs to be paid to Casual Employees also

From India, New Delhi
Dear Bijoy,
Just because an institution is an autonomous body of the Government of India, I am unable to accept the premise that it will not be covered by Labor Laws of the land. Institutions like AIIMS, CSIR etc., are granted autonomous status only for the sake of self-governance facilitating the achievement of the specific purposes for which they are created. Therefore, please furnish the activities of your organization.

From India, Salem

If you are knowledgeable about any fact, resource or experience related to this topic - please add your views using the reply box below. For articles and copyrighted material please only cite the original source link. Each contribution will make this page a resource useful for everyone.

Please Login To Add Reply →

About Us Advertise Contact Us Testimonials
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2021 CiteHR™

All Material Copyright And Trademarks Posted Held By Respective Owners.
Panel Selection For Threads Are Automated - Members Notified Via CiteMailer Server